MMA weight routines for mma?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by AK-47, Jun 11, 2006.

1. AK-47

AK-47 Banned

What kind of weight-routines/exercises would you guys recommend? i've seen some of the pro's doing circuit style routines involving complexes and olympic exercises but never have i seen an actual routine to follow, maybe some of you guys can help out

2. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

i dont think weight lifting is as important as having good cardio. there are plenty of fighters who dont have a lot of muscle on them. fedor has said he doesnt lift weights, and the best way to develop muscle for fighting is to fight.

3. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

lifting is better than not lifting, but don't let it take away time for your training. It should be something you do in addition to mma.

4. AK-47

AK-47 Banned

yeah i understand that actual fighting is more beneficial that weightlifting, but a good training program can only benefit from the addition of weights, no matter what the sport. I was just wondering if there were any specific lifts or exercises that could be used

5. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

rampage and karo don't lift either

6. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

7. VulgarTheClown

VulgarTheClown A child and a gun.....go together like apple pie a

its all about explosion and being able to keep the explosions commin.

thats all i'm gonna say.

8. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

yes exactly, i agree

9. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

the sport of mma is still evolving & is so complex that there isnt any 1 correct way to train.

rich franklin lifts lighter weight with very high reps (50 reps!!!111!) yet he is still strong enough to bench over 300lbs.

forrest also likes the higher rep sets (but his bench is only like 225 :mamoru: )

matt hughes mixes up both light days & heavy days. he loves the DL, shoulder/military presses, squats, & pullups. Actually, the whole militech camp lifts, but matt is the only one that i've ever heard of that goes heavy.

so yeah, be strong, be fast, have stamina, be skilled in striking with your feet & hands, be good on the ground (both top & bottom), have good takedowns & takedown defense, and FIND YOUR BALANCE and WHAT WORKS FOR YOU. :bigthumb:

10. AK-47

AK-47 Banned

i tihnk i'm gonna try a routine that is heavy on the deadlifts and overhead pressing, from what i noticed while doing this, the posterior chain and upper back/shoulder area is used heavily