Weight loss suppelments

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by man oh man, Feb 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. man oh man

man oh man New Member

Hi, this is my first post to this particular forum, so if I ask a stupid question just let me know--and sorry in advance!

I have recently realized how disgustingly out of shape I've let myself become and I'm taking steps to change that. I'm drinking less soda and more juice (real juice, not the 5% juice 95% sugar stuff) and more water. Also I'm adding more fresh fruit and veggies into my diet and cutting out the fatty stuff that I don't need because it's killing me (maybe slowly, but it is).

I've started going to the gym again and I do cardio and I'm easing myself into using the machines. I've heard that doing free weights is a lot more helpful than using machines, but I don't want to go over there and look like an idiot so I'll hold off on that for now I guess.

Anyways, I want to try to add some herbal supplements into my new lifestyle (not diet) to help give me energy and boost my metabolism a little. I went to GNC today to pick up a few things and I ended up coming home with a multi-vitamin, green tea extract and psyllium seed husk. I don't really want to take anything that isn't herbal or at least mostly herbal (in other words, i don't want anything like stacker 2 or whatever else is out there like that) any suggestions?

Sorry this is so long!

2. maxxpower

maxxpower OG Lauren Crew - Observer OT Supporter

Welcome to F&N.

At this point in your training you are probably better off focusing your attention to diet and not supplements.

Have you outlined what your meal plan is ? Or do you have a good idea on what calories you consume and where you want to be?

3. man oh man

man oh man New Member

I really don't have a meal-plan besides "if it's deep fried, fast food, or comes in a wrapper and you only have to microwave it for 2 minutes, it's probably not worth eating" other than that I'm wide open to suggestions lol

4. man oh man

man oh man New Member

Are there any other tips that might keep me motivated to work out? Maybe some fun work out routines that I can do? How long is an appropriate amount of time to work out in one day?

Also, is is bad to go to the gym twice in one day? (Let's say I go to the gym in the early afternoon for an hour, if I wanted to go again later in the afternoon for an hour or so, is that too much working out for one day?)

5. maxxpower

God, no other fucking members gonna tackle this?

6. man oh man

man oh man New Member

Seriously? If my questions are a problem I'll gladly find some where else to go to get answers.

7. maxxpower

Weight loss is simple, consume less calories, burn more.
    Its really hard to know that you are consuming less calories if you do not know how many calories you consume.
    I know the last thing you want to hear is "read the stickies", but, what you are asking has been covered time again and if you spend a few minutes reading the nutrition stickies etc, you will benefit from them.
    http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=3194630

To keep motivated while working out is entirely dependant on what motivates you, once you start losing a couple pounds and notice it in the mirror, that is generally enough to keep most people going.

Can you work out or train more than once a day? Sure you can, but it may not be worth the effort since you are probably better off focusing your efforts on maintaining a good diet and training schedule.

Too many people start training in the spring with high hopes of losing xx amounts of lbs and training 7 days a week. After 3-4 weeks they are burnt out because they worked their asses off and barely notice the results.
    If you are smart, you would try to make reasonably achievable goals at first, like, losing 10lbs and going to the gym 3-4 days a week.
    So to answer your question, yes you can train twice a day, but, you should probably wait until you have been training a year or two before you need to take such measures.

8. Drewski

Drewski New Member

stick with the supps you got. maybe add some protein if you aren't getting enough. you'll find the info to figure out if you're getting enough, and to make a plan for yourself in the stickies

just remember this doesn't happen overnight. there might be times you feel like its a waste of time, but trust me its not. good luck :bigthumb:

9. maxxpower

The MAIN thing I cant express enough is the importance of diet. If I had known this 10 years ago I would be years ahead of schedule.

Read the stickies and come back here and post what size you are, what size you want to be. Post up your current diet and possibly the diet you come up with after reading the nutrition info. Post your current training and post your proposed future training after reading some of the training stickies.
    If you do that, you will most likely have a TON of responses.

10. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

use fitday.com to track your calorie intake etc.

eat a clean diet and don't cut the calories to low, burn calories with cardio + weights since muscle helps support a higher metabolism, added muscle mass will contribute to more calories burned.

eat but don't over eat, and eat clean.

i don't like stimulants, i don't figure many out of shape over weight people should intentionally raise their heart rate and BP etc, seems like asking for troube. for healthy inshape people to want stims to dry out and lose a few pounds is one thing but for fat out of shape people it may be more stress on a already over worked heart.

eating well and working out will show results quick when starting out, save supplements for down the road a bit when weight loss and muscle gains start getting harder to come by

that's my opinion anyway

11. man oh man

man oh man New Member

I'm not one of those people on the spring diet kick...I don't care if I only lose 3 pounds, I want to be healthy....ya know, in order to live a life without diabetes, heart disease, etc.

I do go to the gym on average 2-3 times a week, I'd like to make it more like 3-4 times a week on average and move up from there. I just asked about going to the gym twice a day because some days I have a lot of extra energy in the evening and figured that'd be better spent working out rather than not...but if going twice in one day would some how hinder my progress I'd rather not do it.

I read the stickies before I even made this thread, so these are just questions I needed some clarification on...though, I will look at the nutrition stickies because I don't think I read those. :( Sorry.

I'm a girl, so me putting my "sizes" out there is a big deal....but I guess if everyone knows then I'll be more motivated to get off my ass and lose it, right?

Right now I'm a size 15ish (it ranges depending on brand size) and I am hoping to be back down to a size 9/10 (which is my ideal size....at least from previous experience). I weigh about 190 and I want to go down to a healthy 140...anything below that and I look sickly.

Right now I eat pretty shitty to be honest....I hate breakfast so I usually skip it, I'll grab whatever is closest at lunch and at dinner I'll have a protein (usually chicken--baked) and some veggies (they used to be canned but I'm switching over to frozen--fresh veggies don't do well in my house so frozen is as close as I can get)--with no butter, no salt and some pepper...I steam them so I don't lose all the nutrients by boiling them away in water.
    I'll work on my diet a little better.

Right now when I go to the gym I do about 20 mins of cardio (serious cardio...at my ideal heart rate...not the halfassed walk on a treadmill and read a magazine cardio) then I'll go through the rotation of machines...like I said, I'm still a little shy about using the free weights, but I'll get there eventually.

Now, does this post have more merit now that it's a little more obvious that I'm not just looking to lose an unreasonable amount of weight in a short time to look good in a bikini?

12. man oh man

man oh man New Member

Maybe I mis-titled this post...I don't take stimulants to help lose weight, they make me shaky and all cracked-out...I just meant herbal supplements that may naturally help me boost my metabolism and give me energy. Sorry about that.

13. maxxpower

I would bump up the cardio from 20 to 40 for 4 weeks and less time spent on the machines until you get your weight down a bit.

Again, the importance of diet is still there. And dont worry about being a woman, same strategies apply.

Be forewarned tho, you start making progress and you are going to be bombarded with "toddler tunnel" and "piss flap" picture requests from the monkeys here.

14. maxxpower

Dialing in your diet will have the desired effect, along with a longer cardio session and you should be good to go.
    There is no reason why you shouldnt be smoking in a bikini if you spent the same amount of time you currently are contributing, but, focusing on increased cardio and improved diet.

15. keeler

keeler New Member

walmart has something called Mega -T or something like that. it was 5 bucks for a box of 40. Its got caffiene, green tea extract and something else. I'm on a calorie cutting diet and i find these help stave off cravings until i can get home and eat something healthy, instead of breaking down and eating some crap at school

16. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

A. more cardio
    B. more weight training
    C. track your calories, go about 300-500 below maintance don't do a drastic cut cause your metab will just flatline
    D. stay away from stims like caffeine, green tea extract, ephedrine etc. it'll dehydrate you, raise BP and pulse rate etc.
    E. track your calories
    F. eat clean, not junk calories
    G. high protein content in your foods
    H. maintain a clean diet
    I. did i mention eating wise
    J. don't starve yourself
    K. bump the cardio to 40 minutes instead of 20
    L. drink tons of water
    M. Drink even more water
    N. Drink a few more glasses still
    O. yes i know you're pissing constantly but keep drinking the water
    P. WATER

17. jmezz

jmezz layin in bed stretchin my pumped quads for hours

I can't believe this thread stayed on topic. There is not one flame. Unbelievable.

18. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

Try the banner at the top of the forum.

You're likely to get run over here in a few minutes :o

19. keeler

keeler New Member

its becaues like this guy truely wants to put in teh work.

oh btw op, cut out that juice it has more cal than soda. just eat whole fruit instead youll save a ton of calories.

20. 98dirtybird

98dirtybird OT Supporter

So what ur sayn is eat right, drink water, and exercise. :noes:

I think this could work.. infact it has.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.