weight loss maintenance for women?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by DTR rex, May 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

I know how to find my own caloric maintenance for cutting, maintaining and bulking.. However I am in the dark on how to calculate this for a women since she does not really lift weights.

If it helps here is a background:

my g/f is already skinny and has a good body. She is about 5' 4" and weighs 115lbs. She does not really want to cut down much fat (there isn't much to get ride of) BUT she is a brides-maid in her cousins wedding and of course she wants to looks as great at possible and wants to cut down like 5lbs and maybe 1% of b/f or so. Problem is that I have no freaking clue what her maintenance would be.

Currently her diet ranges quite a bit. One day she will eat well and only take in about 1200 cals, another day she will take in 2000. My best guess was the find a median and have her try and keep her cal intake consistant at 1400 (not sure if that's too low though).
    She is pretty active (goes to the gym 4X a week and does some light lifting for ~ 30min and then another 30-40min of cardio.

Should I just tell her to watch what she eats more consistantly or should there be a specific cal # for her to follow?

Thanks for any help. My knowledge of cal maintenance is limited to that of the male gender.

2. Piracy

Piracy New Member

taking in 1200 calories is not eating well.

3. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

By well I mean a relatively balanced diet of nutritious foods.

4. Elfling

Elfling New Member

maintenance is ~12 cal/lb of bodyweight.

If she's not watching what she eats now- yes, just plain tracking it will benefit her.

5. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

12 X her weight (115) = 1380
    which = right about where I thought she should be.

She eats good some days and bad on others... She has a sweat tooth which is usually the only bad stuff she eats. However, even with her sweet tooth she has some how kept a pretty amazing body (flat stomach, size 0, solid abs).... it is good for me, but also pisses me off because I need to work my ass off for a flat stomach and 6 pack.

I guess there is really no need for her to actually count cal's like us guys do then, right? Just have her cut back on the sweets and eat more balanced to shed that extra 5lbs and 1% b/f or so?

6. Piracy

Piracy New Member

i would tell her to count calories, especially if she's eating candy or whatever. that shit adds up very quickly. get her on healthier snacks if that's the only detriment in her diet and have her keep exact cal counts for a week or two to get an idea of what she's actually eating.

7. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Oh, there's absolutely a need to count calories, tiny female or no.

Trouble is you can only go so low with calories, so she'd probably be better off eating 1300 calories a day and upping her cardio.

8. GND

GND BBP! OT Supporter

yes it can be

edit-
    keep her under 30-35g of fat a day

9. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Totally depends on your size. A 100 lb woman- yes, 1200 calories is about right.

10. Piracy

Piracy New Member

1200 still seems very low to me, even for a 100 lb woman, but what the fuck do i know...i'm a fat guy. I had been taking in 1500 for the past few months and it seemed like I was eating nothing.

11. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

that's why you're fat

12. Chris3G

Chris3G Bullshark Testosterone

you can feel like you are eating a decent amount of food on 1500 IF you are careful about what you choose to eat.

a dozen egg whites and 2 cups of chopped broccoli is a decent sized meal, pretty filling ..and it's around 275 calories.

that same amount calories would get you 1 slice of pizza w/o toppings. not very filling at all. you just have to picky if you want to eat that low and still feel like you're getting a reasonable amount of food.

13. therealdeal

therealdeal New Member

Heres a crazy idea. Just find a median amount of calories, say around 1500/day. Have her eat at that for a week. If her weight stays the same, thats maintenance. If she gains weight, reduce calories by about 250. If she loses weight, check out how much. Adjust calories as needed.

Formulas are a good starting point but they never work for me.

14. qwop

qwop underground pirate OT Supporter

Dumpy Dooby posted this link: http://labs.gooffense.com/diet/diet.php in another thread on the board. Maybe that will help. :)

But you can, as a female, eat 1200 calories and be fine on it. It's just a case of making sure, as guys do when they're clean bulking, that the right foods are being consumed. 1200 isn't a lot when you're used to eating a whole heap of stuff but eating more veg to fill you up helps a lot.

15. Piracy

Piracy New Member

mystery solved :bowdown:

I learned that pretty quickly, and ate very similar to what you mentioned. My entire focus was on a clean diet and getting the most out of meals. To me, eggs and vegetables are filling for about an hour. It's just something i learned to deal with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.