Weight loss has seemed to level out completely recently

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by thahamer, Aug 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thahamer

thahamer New Member

In the past 2.5 months I have lost ~40 lbs. I went from 334 to 295 in 7 weeks.

In the past 3 weeks I have fluctuated between 294-299 but cant seem to come down any lower. Diet hasn't changed at all, and I even started putting in a lot of gym time recently.

How have others dealt with the plateau? Just keep doing what I am and stop looking at the scale for a while or what?

2. grampositivecocci

grampositivecocci New Member

As you lose weight, the energy intake required to maintain body weight will also decrease. Either decrease your energy consumption or increase your energy expenditure. It's that simple mate.

3. Ish

Ish New Member

decrease the calories

4. thahamer

thahamer New Member

Yea maybe I am eating too much and haven't taken my loss of 40 into consideration.

I just put my average day into Daily Burn and my macros are:

2,215 Calories total
    266.66g of protein
    66.66g of fat
    143.08g of carbs

5. thahamer

thahamer New Member

I am going to try to cut down on my servings/calories/carbs tommorow

Instead of half a cup of oatmeal for breakfast, I will try 1/3 cup
    Also instead of half cup of brown rice for lunch, I will also do 1/3

6. thahamer

thahamer New Member

Just went into Dailyburn and did a calculation for tommorows meal plan

1,736 Calories
    231.7g of Protein
    61.18g of fat
    75.55g of carbs

Breakfast:
    1/3 cup Oatmeal
    3 egg whites
    1 whole egg
    1 scoop EAS Protein

Snack:
    1 can Tuna
    2 Tablespoons Fat Free Italian Dressing
    1 Tablespoon Dill Relish

Lunch
    1/3 cup Brown Rice
    8 oz chicken breast
    1 cup Broccoli

Afternoon Snack:
    1 oz Almonds
    2 scoops EAS whey

Dinner
    1 Salmon burger
    2 cups Broccoli

Evening Snack

1 cup nonfat Cottage Cheese

7. mandrew

mandrew New Member

maybe try bumping the fat intake a little and decreasing carbs to sub-100? :dunno: 2,200 cals sounds pretty low for a 295lbs guy even if you do have low LBM and high bodyfat %. I'm by no means knowledgable about nutrition but what I've been doing lately with good results is only having carbs for my first meal then once again either right before a workout or right after one. For those meals I minimize the fat content of the meal so it's all carbs and protein... the rest of my meals are all protein and fats with small amounts of carbs from vegetables, avocado, small amounts of sauces on occasion, etc. Been keeping my carbs at less than 100g per day and not losing much actual weight, but seeing fat loss all over. Hope it helps.

Also, heavy lifting is a good idea your best bet is to choose a routine from one of the stickies and follow advice of the guys on here.... I tried to make my own routine for my first year and a half of lifting and saw very little progress in most areas it really is possible to waste time even as a noob.

8. thahamer

thahamer New Member

Ive almost been considering trying some type of Ketosis diet to jump start the weight loss

9. grampositivecocci

grampositivecocci New Member

Just keep protein the same. The reduce the fat/carb until you drop weight. No need to fuck with ketosis (its hard enough mentally dieting and at less than 100g CHO you will be consuming your protein stores).

10. el es dee

el es dee ...through a cloud of chalk and the midst of pain.

if you weigh 300 lb and your eating below 3k calories and not losing weight, then there is something wrong. go get some bloodwork done. check your thyroid

11. thahamer

thahamer New Member

I have been considering getting bloodwork done for a long time, only because high cholesterol seems to run in my family. While there i guess i can ask about thyroid also just for curiositys sake, and maybe Test levels

12. el es dee

thats what happened to me..rapid weight loss owns your thyroid

13. smb is me

smb is me New Member

Do that and the doctor won't take you seriously.

Don't ask just for curiosity sake, you are asking for the sake of your health!! Tell the doctor you are consuming around 2200-2300 calories, working out hard, and still not losing weight. This doesn't seem right, and you are concerned about your thyroid.

This makes it a medical issue, and one he is paid to address. If you treat it like a mild curiosity, he/she probably won't really care.

14. Thomas Crenshaw

Thomas Crenshaw New Member

lower the cals a bit? spread the eating out throughout the day better? do you drink coffee or take an EC?

15. thahamer

thahamer New Member

Oh trust me I dont plan on asking the doctor int aht way, I will explain the situation and tell him that I am concerned about my thyroid. I didn't mean to make it sound like i didnt care all that much

16. thahamer

thahamer New Member

Any details on the effects of rapid weight loss on thyroid? I didn't even think the two had an affect on one another

17. thahamer

thahamer New Member

Right now i eat once every 3 hours or so

I drink coffee semi regularly, maybe once every other day

EC=Ephedrine/Caffeine? No i dont

18. thahamer

thahamer New Member

I've never considered an EC stack but after it was mentioned in this thread, I am considering it.

I think i might see what my Blood Pressure looks like and then consider trying out ephedrine

19. Thomas Crenshaw

Thomas Crenshaw New Member

consult a doctor if your in the 300 range before you take anyones advice on here, unless they have a PhD

20. el es dee

i wouldnt go EC just yet

21. el es dee

weight loss lowers leptin levels, leptin levels lower TSH

22. el es dee

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...nel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

Reinehr T. Department of Paediatric Nutrition Medicine, Vestische Hospital for Children and Adolescents, University of Witten/Herdecke, Dr. F. Steiner Str. 5, 45711 Datteln, Germany.
    A moderate elevation of thyrotropin (TSH) concentrations, which is associated with triiodothyronine (T3) values in or slightly above the upper normal range, is frequently found in obese humans. These alterations seem rather a consequence than a cause of obesity since weight loss leads to a normalization of elevated thyroid hormone levels. Elevated thyroid hormone concentrations increase the resting energy expenditure (REE). The underlying pathways are not fully understood. As a consequence of the increased REE, the availability of accumulated energy for conversion into fat is diminished. In conclusion, the alterations of thyroid hormones in obesity suggest an adaptation process. Since rapid weight loss is associated with a decrease of TSH and T3, the resulting decrease in REE may contribute towards the difficulties maintaining weight loss. Leptin seems to be a promising link between obesity and alterations of thyroid hormones since leptin concentrations influence TSH release.

23. el es dee

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...nkpos=3&log$=relatedarticles&logdbfrom=pubmed

Kozłowska L, Rosołowska-Huszcz D. Department of Dietetics and Functional Foods, Warsaw Agricultural University, Warsaw, Poland. [email protected]
    The aim of our study was to compare serum concentration of leptin and pituitary-thyroid axis hormones in obese/overweight women before and after two levels of energy deficit with those parameters in lean women on adequate energy intake. Additionally, we attempted to elucidate if the effect of weight reduction could be related to anthropometric and hormonal parameters before treatment. Anthropometric and hormonal parameters-serum leptin, TSH, T4, fT4, T3 and leptin to fat mass (Lep/fm), T3/T4, fT4/T4, T4/TSH, fT4/TSH--were compared in two groups of women (n =18 each)--lean women (C: BMI 22.0 +/- 1.2) and overweight/obese (Ov/Ob: BMI 29.9 +/- 3.3). Ov/Ob women were subjected to weight-reducing treatment consisting of energy intake equal to 80% of calculated total energy expenditure for the first 4 wk and to 50% for subsequent 4 wk. All baseline hormone concentrations, Lep/fm, and fT4/T4 were higher in overweight/obese group. After 20% energy deficit decrease in BMI, percent body fat (fm%), leptin, T3, and TSH serum concentrations as well as in Lep/fm and T3/T4 was observed; T4/TSH increased, fT4, fT4/T4 and fT4/TSH did not change significantly. Increase in energy deficit from 20% to 50% resulted in normalization of Lep/fm, on the other hand, it provoked greater decline in thyroid hormone plasma concentration, which could hinder further mass reduction. Leptin and TSH levels were positively correlated after 50% energy deficit treatment. Changes in fm% were directly related to baseline T4/TSH, fT4/TSH, and log TSH. In conclusion, TSH serum concentration and its ratio to T4 and fT4 before weight reduction could be a good predictor of successful weight loss.

24. grimstone

grimstone magic murda bag OT Supporter

you could try upiing the calories for a week or two to get your thyroid back to normal than drop cals agaiin

25. thahamer

thahamer New Member

Bump for day crew

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.