Weight Loss for Female

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by kort2885, Jan 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kort2885

kort2885 New Member

I am looking for some advice on losing fat. I've looked through the boards and it seems like everything out there is for males. I'm 5'2" and weigh 118 to 120 depending on the day so I don't have a lot of fat to lose but pretty much all the fat I have is on my stomach. I know in order to burn fat you need to do cardio and eat really healthy (which is something I don't really do). Then weight lifting is for "toning." The problem I have is I HATE running but that burns the most calories for me. So is there a way to burn more calories but not have to do cardio as long? (I know it sounds like a stupid question) I've read a little about HIIT which says you can do it for less time but burn more calories. Is this true and how long should I do it for each time? Well any advice would be great. Thanks!

2. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

step 1: post ASIT

step 2: read the stickes

step 3: read the archives

step 4: ???

step 5: profit

3. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

:ugh: in the long run resistance exercise burns more calories then cardio for everyone...you're body is not special...

4. qwop

qwop underground pirate OT Supporter

One way to burn more calories whilst doing less cardio is by putting on more muscle.

The other of doing it is sorting out your food - if you cut some of the crap out, you don't have to run as long to burn it off.

Not a lot else to say without a food log or training log.

5. T-R-T

T-R-T New Member

You sound lazy.

6. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

You can perform HIIT by running, the stairstepper, elliptical or cycle. Some other things you can do are: bodyweight circuits (perform several bodyweight exercises in a row with no rest), machine circuits, and supersetting your resistance exercises. Some of the current popular fat burning programs out there currently utilize a workout scheme similar to this:

5 minutes of a bodyweight circuit
    30 minutes of weight training with supersets
    15 minutes of HIIT

7. kort2885

kort2885 New Member

I'm not lazy, I just run out of breath VERY quickly. I have really poor stamina. I can run for like 5 or 6 minutes and then I have to slow down. So what I've been doing is running for 5, walking for 5, running for 5, etc for like 20 minutes. I don't really have a "training schedule" What I usually do is 20 minutes of cardio the way I described above, a couple hundred crunches doing different styles (straight, reverse, side, etc) and then I do 50 squats (no weight or anything) and for arms I do 2x15 curls (8 pound weights), 2x15 lifting your arms straight up forward (8 pound weights), then standing triceps where you put your arms in the air holding one 25 pound weight and bend your arms up and down behind your head (you can tell by my descriptions that I'm obviously not a bodybuilder or anything). I don't eat horribly (no fast food) but I certainly don't eat my fruits or vegetables. I guess I'm trying to tone up but first I have to get rid of the layer of fat that's on top of my muscle.

8. T-R-T

T-R-T New Member

How often do you go? How many calories are you eating?

9. xela

xela So say we all!

Well, that's bound to happen if you've never really exercised before. You need to build up endurance...it doesn't happen overnight.

10. Original

Original OT Supporter

You could lift as hardcore as your body can take and not "bulk" like most girls think they will. It takes a ton of calories to put on muscle. Don't be scared away from weight training.

11. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

12. hom3lesshom3boy

hom3lesshom3boy New Member

go to teh training logs and read what daneeyah's been through. she seems like a similar body type to yours

13. Jam_Master_J

Jam_Master_J New Member

Women who are inactive and unaccustom to expending themselves physically often make this excuse "I run out of breath, omg im gonna like....die, omg I'm like totally smart"

You'll be fine. The worst thing that could happen is you get tired and possibly lose some weight you balooga whale.

14. kort2885

kort2885 New Member

Actually I was a gymnast for 11 years. I quit almost 5 years ago. I usually try to workout around 3 times a week. With my work/school schedule it's hard to get in much more than that. I took growth hormones from when I was 5 until I was 16 and I've heard that can decrease your endurance level too. I know I need to build up endurance, I'm just not sure how.

15. kort2885

kort2885 New Member

Um I'm not exactly inactive. I workout all the time I just don't really know how to build up my endurance. I know I'm not gonna die, it's so hard to keep going when you feel like your heart is gonna pound out of your chest.

Oh and I don't appreciate the balooga whale comment. I am not by any means fat but I do have a little fat to lose in order to look how I want to.

16. kort2885

kort2885 New Member

Thanks I'll try that!

17. skatmand

skatmand New Member

18. xela

xela So say we all!

You're not sure how to build endurance? You just keep working out until it gets easier.

19. keeler

keeler New Member

i've found i burn more calories on the elliptical machines than I do when running on the treadmill.
    if you hate cardio and hate weightlifting, you could always just get addicted to blow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.