weight lifting question

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Jig Saw, Apr 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jig Saw

Jig Saw Guest

Should I start out with more weight on my first set and then lighter weight on the last two sets? I've been doing it the opposite but by the third rep i am pooped and can't seem to do it.

2. sleepi

sleepi New Member

just keep it heavy through all sets...or if you don't want to go from light to heavy, heavy to light sucks cack

3. Jig Saw

Jig Saw Guest

just to make it clear i'm talking about progressivley adding weight (5-10lbs usually max) with the last set being the heaviest i can do at that number of reps i'm currently doing vs starting out at the heaviest and progessivley going down 5-10lbs

4. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

:ugh2:

5. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

I do both actually. I start with a warm up and do a set or two building up to the heaviest I intend to go. Then from there, I progressively move back down in weight to warm down from the exercise so I can move onto the next one.
    It has worked for me thus far.

Like for shoulder press with db's I will go warm up with 40's for a set of 10-12 reps. Then I move to the 80's for a set of 10 reps. Then upto the 100's for a set of 8 reps. Then down to 60's for 8 reps.

Weird perhaps, but I like it. It gives me a good warm up before starting to go heavy and allows me to cool down instead of finishing with the heavy weight.

6. iceburgslim

iceburgslim Guest

If you lift a heavy weight first it will make subsequent lower weight reps easier to lift. When you lift a heavy weight your body thinks "I have to get ready to lift more of this weight" and thus you'll be able to go heavier, easier.

7. Ghost of Swayze

Ghost of Swayze Ofcourse you mad

the most important thing is that you feel the rip at the end of your reps

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.