Weight Lifting>Cardio for Weight Loss?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Metacomet, Sep 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metacomet

Metacomet Guest

Is it true? Can anyone speak from experience?

I lost good weight last year running (25lbs in 4 months) , gained about 5 lbs of it back (no big deal)... but as soon as I started talking to other people, the first thing they told me was "Stop running, start lifting."

I'm down. Down like Charlie Brown in China Town. Ready to start lifting and running less, but I really need to know how much Cardio is too much? I was running 3 miles a day for a while, and so far I have no idea what I should cut that down to, in sake of saving more energy and time for lifting.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

2. cochise

cochise OT Supporter

no. but weightlifting + cardio > cardio.

3. Peqkx

Peqkx Active Member

weight loss is stupid. go for fat loss instead.

4. Metacomet

Metacomet Guest

I'm sure. lol. But some have gone as far as to tell me to stop Cardio altogether and focus on muscle gains.

Fasting was to avoid ruining my work with overeating (my appetite has now shrunken enormously and my metabolism is revved and ready to go).

Weightlifting>* because Muscle burns a heap of calories as I understand it.

The question as I see it is whether or not it burns more then cardio?

k

5. Metacomet

Metacomet Guest

So many people hate it with all their might :rofl: ... it's a euphoric thing that keeps me going. I would gladly do without the wear on my shoes and the time investment.

6. cochise

cochise OT Supporter

p.s. this makes no sense. your body shuts down your metabolism when you fast, trying to conserve every bit of energy it can. you wanna rev your metabolism, you overeat for a couple days.

7. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

muscle doesnt burn that many calories. you will look better if you try to alter your body composition with weightlifting. diet and cardio are going to be the most important parts of losing weight. weights keep you from looking skinny fat

8. Metacomet

Metacomet Guest

Yeah I've given some people the impression that it was while fasting that my metabolism revved: not true. Upon eating again I've been digesting food at high-speeds which is a first, and a sign that my metabolism has revved up. (The first meal back from fasting is best if it's large.)

I've tested it by passing a glass of gatorade through my system in less then 30 mins.

9. Metacomet

Metacomet Guest

For real?
    Not to mention however much your body burns to maintain that muscle.

Just wondering: Where about are you in Louisiana? I've got a friend staying in BR after Katrina and all that.

skinny fat is like those fags who consider themselves in shape when they're made of flab am I right?

I see the term thrown around alot around here.

i really hear that muscle burns alot of calories, but maybe thats just when it's building.

10. Accord

Accord New Member

HIIT

/thread

11. shastaisforwinners

shastaisforwinners OT Supporter

Fasting slows down your metabolism, it doesn't speed it up. Though, I believe you only fasted for two days, which means it would have started crashing around the end of your fast.

Muscle itself only uses 5-9 cal/lb per day in order to maintain itself. However, the actual process of working out to build muscle *can* burn more total calories than a cardio session.

12. Metacomet

Metacomet Guest

Noooo! I'm just a N00b!!! I'll DIEZ! It's been a while since I've been running 3 miles a day should I just throw myself into some HIIT and hit the weights?

shit I would burn mad calories... *scratches chin* hmmmm

13. Metacomet

Metacomet Guest

And it continues to burn up to 45 minutes after a workout I hear?

14. shastaisforwinners

Cardio is good for losing fat, and has a host of other benefits too. The best idea is a combination of both (obviously). Most men can get to 10% or so with diet alone, however. Cardio can make it easier, faster, etc.

15. Accord

Accord New Member

Do HIIT on an eliptical. Do 30 seconds fast and then 30 seconds slow to start out for 20 minutes, then when you feel comfortable start increasing the time to 45 seconds, then a minute.

It depends on your eliptical machine but I usually go to 220 RPM for my "fast" part of HIIT and then around 150 for my "slow" part of HIIT.

Do this twice a week plus a complete weight lifting routine and decent diet and the fat will literally melt off you. If you do ONLY cardio, you're gonna start burning LBM.

16. shastaisforwinners

Longer than that, actually. Protein synthesis doesn't return to baseline for about 48 hours after a workout. Plus, you have EPOC benefits that can last for hours after the workout as well.

17. shastaisforwinners

:werd: Cardio without lifting is just asking be robbed of lbm.

18. Metacomet

Metacomet Guest

Yeah I noticed a slow-burn in fat when I did only cardio.

I don't have an eliptical man... I'm a runner at heart. Does that drastically change things? I've studied HIIT running.

19. Accord

Accord New Member

I only do HIIT on the eliptical, never done it running before. What do you do, like a slow jog for 400m then an all out sprint for 400m, repeat?

20. Metacomet

Metacomet Guest

No it's a time interval like you mentioned, 30-40 seconds at 60% (or 50 for starters) intensity, and then another 30-40 at 80%...

it basically busts your balls. There's also HIIT's where you gradually raise intensity over a 7 minute series, the last minute being a full out sprint.

All I know is it makes you feel like throwing up and I'm pretty sure it will whip the fat right off of me.

21. shastaisforwinners

No

22. Metacomet

Metacomet Guest

And then I'll be lifting weights...

shit. I can just see myself in 6 months. :big grin:

23. shastaisforwinners

Which is more important to you - gaining muscle or losing fat?

24. Metacomet

Metacomet Guest

Muscle won't matter if I've got a thick layer of fat covering it up :( If it weren't for my fat I'd look damn good.

I'm big enough (6'2'' 230 at the moment) that I can stand to lose some weight before I plan on bulking. I'm told that more muscle is what I need to help drop that fat.

25. shastaisforwinners

I would do a moderate lifting routine (3-4 days a week), and 3 days or so of cardio if possible. You may want to try a PSMF diet to kick things off instead though. It's by no means required, or even the best option, but it has the psychological benefit of seeing quick changes both in the mirror and on the scale.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.