Weight gaining question

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by CaseLogic, Nov 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CaseLogic

CaseLogic Longhorns - Mavs - Cowboys - Tool - 24 - Lost - Th

For the last month I've been tryin to gain some weight cause I'm a skinny fuck - 125lb @ 5'7"

I've been doin a Sun/Tues/Thurs lift routine, and I've been intakin about 3000 caloreis everyday (yes, EVERYDAY). The thing is, I still haven't gained like ANY weight. This is really frustrating. I'm gonna up to 3500/day, but I feel like for being as light as I am, 3000 should have done SOMETHING (even a little bit).

And before you ask, yes I've been counting my calories right. So what do you guys think? If it's abnormal for me to not gain weight at 3000, I'd have no problem goin to the doctor and makin sure there isn't anything wrong. If it's common to not necessarily make any gains @ 3000, I'll just up to 3500 and keep tryin :sad2:

2. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

Just up it to 3500, your body takes some time to adjust.. especially if you just started working out.. what kinda foods are you eating?

3. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

I find that milk puts on the most weight for me.. milk + pbj sammiches

4. CaseLogic

I'm eatin fast food enough to consider most my caloric intake from that (what can I say, I'm in college). Plus I drink my shake once a day which is ~800 calories itself. I know it's not healthy to eat fast food but I'm really REALLY lookin to add some lbs, no matter what kind :hsd:

edit: my shake is mixed with 16 oz of milk, that's all the milk I drink though

5. Phineas Q Stork

Phineas Q Stork Active Member

Bump it up to 3500 and see what happens. I wouldn't really base my entire diet on fast food though. I only resort to fast food if I'm low on calories for the day or if I'm just craving something, maybe once or twice a week at the most.

6. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

I eat plenty of fast food, too..

I put between 20 and 24oz of milk in my shakes..
    then i drank 1 or 2 of those hersheys milkshake things taht you find in the cooler section of a gas station or walmart.. 540 cals 20g proten like 16g fat.. not bad, not great.. but an EASY source of calories.

also, a PBJ sammich yields about 500 cals..and they're a great, tasty snack, especially before working out because of all the simple carbs..

7. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

:hs:

8. CaseLogic

You were sayin it takes time for my body to adjust... how do I know if it's still adjusting or if I need to keep upping my intake?

After really getting familiar with calories/foods because of my desire to gain weight, I realized that I was only really eating like maybe 2000 calories per day beforehand. After having upped 1000 more per day to 3000, it doesn't make sense to me that I'm still only maintaining :wtc:

9. Phineas Q Stork

Phineas Q Stork Active Member

I put on weight pretty quick now because I'm at a calorie level that is way too high. I've noticed in the past that when I'm not eating that much above maintenance that it'll take anywhere from 2-3 weeks before I see a difference in the scale

10. CaseLogic

This is kind of a stupid question, but whatever :o

It's hard for me to tell if I'm really even gaining weight, because my weight fluctuates so much throughout the days and between days. I can weigh anywhere from 119 to 127. I'm not sure if it's water weight or what... but how the hell can I even tell if its gained weight or what

11. Jam_Master_J

Jam_Master_J New Member

Up it to 4500 and be consistent. Make sure your meeting your daily calorie intake. Eat lots of red meat, fuck the lean shit go to he grocerey store and buy all she shit you would eat if you were a big fat ass. Eat everything & lots of protein!!!

I don't know why people automaticly feel like they have to eat Mcdonalds 3 times a day when the first time they bulk. There be better ways.

12. CaseLogic

Well I go to fastfood because I don't know how to cook worth a shit. And second off... 4500 calories?! I don't think I can pull that off just quite yet :hsd:

13. Jam_Master_J

Jam_Master_J New Member

I can't cook worth a shit either but it's pretty easy to make a lot of stuff without being Emeril. ie: scrambled eggs, hashbrowns, bacon, bbq or fried steak, chicken breasts, hamburger helper, canned foods, sammiges, microwavable family dinners and so on. You can add salt & pepper to anything and make it edible.

14. niners

niners OT Supporter

i was 5'7" 125 in high school (says so on my driver's license), now im 5'8" 155 repping 225x6 on bench and deadlifting 385. not the most impressive numbers but ive come a long way since my 125. all i did for a while was eat 3 big square meals a day with shakes in-between and work out 5 days a week. that gained me about 20 lbs; the other 10 lbs came slowly after i hit a plateau but ive just been keepin at it, eating whatever i can cuz i have an unusually high metabolism and continuing lifting. good luck with wahtever program you choose; stick with it.

15. Phlab

Phlab OT Supporter

Not gaining? Up it 500 cals for a couple weeks. Still not gaining? Up it 500 more. Not too tough.

16. milk really isnt that good to be drinking constantly though.

17. Phlab

Phlab OT Supporter

A lot of shit associated with lifting isn't good for you, big deal.

You think doing heavy squats is good for you? :rofl:

18. yeah because milk is only associated with lifting you fuckin dweeb. shut up.

19. MP18

MP18 New Member

my suggestion is to lift with heavy compound movements (squat, deadlift, bench, military press, bent-over rows, dips, pull-ups, etc) get lots of sleep, and read this article:
    http://t-nation.com/findArticle.do;jsessionid=109D57C9A381071888FCF8CD3D89B70C.hydra?article=05-163-diet

also remember, there are 3,500 calories in a pound, that means you need to be eating in excess of 3,500 calories to gain one single pound, it doesn't happen overnight bro it takes time. You could also be underestimating how many calories you need to gain weight, go to:
    http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/
    find out what you are actually burning...you may need more

20. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

3,500 calories is a pound of FAT.... it takes 20,000 - 30,000 calories over maintenance to gain a pound of muscle

21. tbizzle

tbizzle you smoke that shit?

why is this? i was drinking at least a half gallon a day all summer. :noes:

22. MP18

MP18 New Member

my bad

23. CaseLogic

20,000-30,000? :eek3:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.