Weight gainer protein shake questions

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by CaseLogic, Feb 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CaseLogic

CaseLogic Longhorns - Mavs - Cowboys - Tool - 24 - Lost - Th

Hey all,

As of this week, I've been making myself this protein shake 2x a day:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/pl/large.html (600 calories, 52g/85g/6g p/c/f)

Obviously my goal here is to gain weight, as I'm pretty skinny. I've been typically drinking one early on in the day (before I head to my classes) and then again later at night after I've worked out.

My question to you: is this a decent enough way to get in more calories? I probably end up with a lot of excess protein with these shakes, but would you consider drinking 2 of these 'inefficient'? According to the directions, you should drink 3 a day but since I'm not a heavy duty athlete I think that's way too much (these things are about 800 calories each including the milk). Would I be better off just drinking one of these a day and replacing the second one with a meal, or continuing with 2/day is fine? The meal would probably be more like 500-600 calories as that's my average meal, but it would obviously have more fat and less protein/carbs. But maybe that'd be a more efficient way for me to pack on the lbs that an excess in protein and pretty much no fat? I don't know, that's why I'm asking

Just lookin for advice on the matter, dunno if you guys think it matters either way.

2. maxxpower

maxxpower OG Lauren Crew - Observer OT Supporter

Would be very hard to answer your questions without knowing the rest.

How much do you weigh now?
    What is your diet like now, meal frequency, volume, cals etc.
    What is your training like now?

3. :|

:| Guest

1 serving is 4 scoops tho

4. CaseLogic

right, I use 4 scoops/shake + 2 cups milk

5. CaseLogic

I weigh about 126lbs @ 5'7". I'm just starting to work out again now that my semester schedule has stabilized at about 3 times/week.

Day 1: chest/tris
    Day 2: back/bis/delts
    Day 3: lower body/abs/some cardio

As far as my "meal plan" goes, I can't say I have any sort of stable plan. I drink this shake as one of the first things before I go to class to get in a solid amount of calories. From that point on, I try to eat about every 2-3 hours and then if I work out that night, I drink a shake when I get back to the gym. I'd say, with the 2 shakes, I'm getting about 3000-3500 calories per day depending on how active I was that day and how hungry I was :o

6. CaseLogic

I guess another concern I have is my metabolism. I have a fast metabolism which is why I'm skinny, so I gotta get more cals in to gain weight (duh). But I've heard eating more meals per day increases your metabolism, as well as having a lot of protein can increase the thermal effect of food. Should I even concern myself with these facts, or just keep on doing what I've been doing?

7. :|

wow i weigh more than you...slightly

8. :|

well what's your other option dude? not eating?

9. meervincent

meervincent New Member

just eat a lot, the shakes will help if you cant get your cals from real food. but srsly, at the point your at you just need to put in an honest effort. if the foods there you'll grow

10. CaseLogic

I've been to like 5-6 different "calorie calculators" and it's ranged from having daily needs of 2000 to 3000 calories. that's a huge discrepancy. I'm assuming it's closer to 2000 because it seems more logical at my height/weight. So I'm hoping that eating 3000+ calories a day, I should start seeing a gain, whether it's fat or muscle at this point I don't care, I just need some more mass :mamoru:

11. Ep

Ep Guest

I take TechXmass, which is actually cheaper and has 650 calories. IDK about NLARGE, but I only take 2 shakes a day because 3 would be over 100% of the cholesterol I should have a day. Obviously if you could bare 3, you would be getting 2400 calories from 3 shakes alone, but I would think it's a little unhealthy

12. Ep

Ep Guest

Since your skinny like me, I would recommend you take 2 meals per meal group. That means 2 breakfast, 2 lunch and 2 dinner. Throw in a shake after workout, that's 7 meals. If you do it correctly, it'll be more food you have been eating, and it won't be unbearable to do. Just time shit right, or you'll get full at the wrong times and fuck your schedule up. That'll easily help you gain around 10 pounds. Once you get your stomach bigger, work your way to a meal every 2 hours or less. Which will eventually be over 7 meals

13. n99nyrwg

n99nyrwg New Member

If you are doing 3000, and you are actually counting your calories and not just "ehh that looks like 1000 calories" then you should see some gains pretty soon.

14. CaseLogic

I would say I'm in between counting and approximating. I know the calories of a lot of the foods I ate, but sometimes I just approximate. Assuming that I'm eating 1600 calories in just shake, I think between 3 'other meals' I would be able to get ~450-500 per meal anyways.

15. n99nyrwg

n99nyrwg New Member

Don't assume though, that's what will hurt you. I was tiny and skinny all my life and thought gaining weight was impossible. I thought I ate a ton, when I ate with other people they thought I ate a ton. But it still wasn't enough. Once I started counting calories gaining weight was much easier.

Use www.fitday.com

16. CaseLogic

Yeah I use fitday to look up calorie amounts, thanks

17. NUDES

NUDES New Member

dont worry about that. metabolism increase from meals per day is one of those debated to death subjects but at the end of the day i dont think its goin to really increase it that much.

focus on tracking your calories. eat 1 week of 3100 cals a day.. weigh yourself. if there is no gain at all, add another 100-200 cals. repeat over and over until you find a sweet spot of a moderate weight gain.

18. quamen

quamen New Member

i do really like the protein shakes, but i also feel that there very much unlike and cant compare to a solid food. I think alot of those calories u just shit or piss out, but i could be 100 percent wrong. they helped me gain some weight, but with the combination of eating it wasn't as crazy as the bottles stated. i never gained that much weight that quick taking them, and it got expensive. for example if you take cyctogainer as the label says, it will last like a little over a week or so. it ends up costing about 160 a month or more, depending on how you take it. i rather up my solid foods to rely on the calorie intake.

19. JeremyD

JeremyD New Member

12 whole eggs
    4 scoops whey
    3 cups whole milk

Drink that shake 3 times a day, and eat your regular meals, then tell me if you can't gain weight. Most "weight gainer" MRP's are a small ammount of protein and a ton of sugar. Not the most nutrient dense meal out there....

20. antihero

antihero OT Supporter

the only time you should be drinking sugar based weight gainers is right before or after a workout.

nlarge etc are a boatload of sugar and you should never be consuming them at rest, or on off days

21. CaseLogic

sounds like a great way to have high cholesterol

22. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

i drink it every morning

23. JeremyD

JeremyD New Member

Sounds like a great excuse for you to be a pussy.

24. antihero

antihero OT Supporter

why? ...as in why would you pick a maltodextrin based "weight gainer" over a quality MRP, or real food, or real food + whey

25. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

what's a "quality" MRP?

it's quick for get up and go

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.