GUN Weight difference between a shotgun and an AK-47

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Jago, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Jago

Jago It helps if you hit it.

I was able to shoot a Mossberg 590 and a SAR-1 today one right after another. I noticed that the 590 is much heavier than the AK-47. This is the only AK-47 I haver ever handled. Are all AK-47s typically this light?

2. black96gtvert

black96gtvert "Is that goal regulation size or what!" -Happy Gil

my ak-47 weighs less then all my shotguns i think....

3. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Pretty much.. milled AK's are a bit heftier since the reciever is milled vs stamped sheetmetal, but not dramatically heavier.

4. Jago

Jago It helps if you hit it.

It was so light from what I'm used to. I felt like I could twirl it around like a baton. :rofl:

I've always kept a shotgun nearby for home defense but I felt much more comfortable holding and moving around with the AK. If I wasn't afraid of shooting through my walls, I would seriously consider it for home defense just because of how maneuvarable it was.

5. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

:werd: definently more maneuverable then a fullsize shotty, even my 590 with p grip, Underfolder is even better, they do make more frangable home defense rounds in 7.62 but I never really looked into them, handgun is my main HD gun, mossberg is always loaded up too though and so is my SAR1.

6. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

I don't think it is a question of lightness so much as weigh distribution. Shotgun has a light barrel for the most part, and a mag tube stuffed with heavy ass shot, all weight forward, save for a fairly lightweight receiver and whatever stock you have. AK's have light barrel, heavier recievers, and a mag balanced in the middle. Can't wait to get a SAIGA, best of both worlds. :o

7. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If you find a place online with them in stock at fair prices be sure to post it here I've been keeping my eye open for one too, probably just get a standard one and have it sent out to be converted, unless I decide to try my hand at the conversion myself.

8. Thunderbear

I got dick all experience on working on firearms, and I'm going to convert it myself. My only thing is where to get good inexpensive AK parts, and deciding between evil black polymer and blonde wood.

If I find a deal, bet your ass I'll PM you.. same if you find one.

I'm thinking about that Kel Tec SU rifle, too, but if I find a SAIGA first, that's where the money's goin'.

9. Car54

Car54 Member

Ive got a nice lightweight fabarm fp6.. love it. best shotgun ive ever used.

10. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I've done my fair share on tinkering on AK's my only concern doing it myself is trying to locate some of the saiga specific parts I'll want for the mod.(might end up sending it out for HK style sights and doing the Pgrip stock conversion stuff myself) Working on AK type rifles is fairly easy (other then seperating barrel from trunion) I mean c'mon they cobble shit together in caves in afghanistan and shit. The KelTec looks interesting if I bought one of those though I'de probably get the pistol. I'll definently PM ya if i find and good deals on SAIGA's.

11. Thunderbear

You hear that damn near all the RAAC S-12s are SBSs? They shipped a batch with 17.2" barrels over.

12. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yeah read about it on another board a few days ago.