Weekend Project - Cyron Backlights

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by David02, May 27, 2009.

1. David02

David02 Guest

Weekend Project - TV Backlights

Put some back lighting behind my Panasonic plasma over the weekend. Turned out nice...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really love these things. It was very easy to make them work with my Harmony activities. Now, any activity that uses the TV also turns on the back lights to their D65 White setting. The controller is really cool. Allows for complete customization of color and dimming functions. Has a sleep timer, and several built in light shows including one that responds to sound. My only complaint is that the IR eye could be a little more sensitive. It misses about 1 out of 10 commands I throw at it.

A few pics of the install...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I ran the light cords behind the wall using the same channel as my HDMI cable. Instead of cutting a separate hole, I just dremeled out a small piece of the HDMI wall plate cover and fed the wires through there.

Super easy...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2009
  2. mtnbiker4life99

mtnbiker4life99 New Member

that is awesome. where did you get it?

3. David02

David02 Guest

Purchased directly from the manufacturer.
    www.cyron.com

4. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

So do you have to change the color, or does it change with the picture?

5. avctechsupp

avctechsupp New Member

Has to change the color manually. Not quite as cool as the Phillips Ambilight. But the DIY is a major PITA... see: avsforumDOTCOM/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=881639

To OP: very nice job! in the pic, you have the backlights mounted horizontally, but with the display over them they project light out of the sides...???
    also...and this is just my $.02, here... you might not want to use that painters tape. Instead, try Artists/Console tape. Just as adhesive, and won't take the overcoat off your spackling when removed a year or two later, IME...

Last edited: May 31, 2009
  6. David02

David02 Guest

Yeah, color has to be changed manually. It has a D65 "white" setting which I will be using while watching movies, etc. I find it to be a nice effect because with the room lights completely off the lights behind the TV provide just enough light to reduce eye strain without putting any glare on the screen.

The picture you are referring to, where the lights are taped to the wall was just during the installation. I taped them up high to keep them out of the way while I ran the wires and put the TV back. Their final placement is on the back of the TV. They are hung vertically with one light on either side. Here is a pic:

[​IMG]

They are mounted to the TV with brackets and double sided tape that was included with the kit.

Here's another pic that shows more of my gear:

[​IMG]

7. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

hmm thats a good idea, My eyes always get tired playing xbox and watching long movies with the lights off.