SRS Weekend Hospital Visit...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by zero xeal, Feb 25, 2008.

1. zero xeal

zero xeal Guest

On Saturday night, I started to feel a little off. My wind pipe felt like it was out of place/ broken/ etc and I asked a friend to feel my neck to make sure it was ok. As soon as he took his hand away from my neck, I blacked out twice, coming too each time as if there had been a hiccup in my perception, my friends called 911, rushed me to the ER. They ran tons of tests on me, racked up a huge bill (waiting to be eligible for company health insurance only a few weeks away).

After running tons of tests and spending 8 hours in the ER I was discharged and told that I either had a seizure or blacked out and to drink fluids. its now Monday, im at work, I still feel really lousy, ive spent the last 2 days mostly sleeping and I have no idea what happened to me or why on saturday. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If you would like I can explain in detail what the blackouts / seizures felt like.

2. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

Did they do an EEG, MRI, CT Scan?

It seems odd that they would send you home without knowing more about whether or not it was a seizure.

I feel your pain. Back in october I woke up in the hospital not knowing what had happened. Had it explained to me that I had a seizure. Since then things just got worse, and ive learned alot about epilepsy. Not saying thats what is going on with you, but it seems the doctors need to get on that.

Usually when I have a seizure that causes me to lose awareness, I am not the same for a few days. Its a fuzzy feeling, almost as if im in the world but not a part of it. It gets even weirder than that, but id rather not go into detail for you right now.

Good luck, and stay on the doctors about finding out what is going on. If you are depriving the brain of oxygen, or anything else related to the brain, its not something to sit around and twiddle you thumbs about.

3. zero xeal

zero xeal Guest

Yea they ran CT, EEG, MRI and X-rayed my chest at my request due to my left arm / left side of my chest feeling strained. I forgot the term they used, but essentially they told me that I had a seizure and that they don't know why.

Edit: yea I know what you mean about that fuzzy feeling. Strangest thing, when I came too, I was very clear headed, it was as if there had just been a lapse in time, I was even talking and got up on my own after the first one.

4. Exiled

Exiled New Member

That will cost a lot of money

That's why I dont go to the doctor.. I just kind've rest when im sick and eat right and enough and over the counter medicine.

5. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

Did they refer you to a neurologist? Thing with seizures is that there are so many different kinds. Most people just think of falling to the floor shaking, but they can be very different.

I hate all this for you if you dont have insurance, but definitely do what is best for you. If something is misfiring in your brain, you need to find out what it is. Hopefully it is something that will never happen again, but its not a risk worth taking.

8 seizures (some full, some partial). To me, a day just disappeared.

6. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

Yea it will. My last EEG test and monitoring at Vanderbilt University was over 13k, that doesnt include the MRI's and other tests. I am lucky enough to have insurance, but you know what, I would have done it if i had to pay everything out of pocket.

I know when you dont have insurance its a bit daunting to go to the doctor because of the cost, but in situations like this, it is FAR better to deal with the costs and make sure your body is ok. You dont get another brain, and when things go bad up there, they go bad quick. If this was a cold, or anything simple, id say not to worry about it too....but this is far more important.

Many hospitals will work with you on payments and even cut deals on costs. I had several problems in my life even before I had insurance and I still have bills from before I had insurance on which I pay like a 25/mo payment (for bills that started in the thousands). Always do whats best for yourself, life is to precious to let it get fucked up over money.

7. 2500

2500 Guest

Do you all have family history of this, or can anyone get it?

8. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

If you are asking if a family history is necessary for seizures or epilepsy, then the answer is no. No one in my family, immediate or extended has ever shown signs. Of course, it hit me randomly in my mid-20's and they still don't know why :dunno:

9. 2500

2500 Guest

well i'm scared...

10. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

certainly far more scarier things in life. Shit happens, just gotta deal with it all a day at a time. Id certainly rather deal with seizures than anyurisms (sp?)

11. zero xeal

zero xeal Guest

yea I might bit the bullet and pay out of pocket for a follow up