A&P Wedding photography

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by haikii, May 14, 2008.

1. haikii

haikii New Member

So my brother's friend is getting married and i really think its budget as we were asked to do the coverage of the wedding. This is my first time ever doing something like this.. and i was looking for tips.

Also would it just be better to leave all the settings on auto and go around shooting? i usually use manual when i go shooting but thats when I can take my time and do re-shots whereas in the wedding I don't think some things might happen twice...

Cheers
    James.

2. Gvidon

Gvidon New Member

If you take the bride and groom alone for a photo shoot then you can take your time and take your signature shots.

And yes you are correct, its a live event, you have to always be on top of things. Start off by using program mode, and in tight situations, just throw it on Auto. Specially when people are waiting to take pics with the bride, just put it on auto.

Always take at least 2 pictures when doing important group shots, review, make sure focus is in place and eyes are open. Be really careful with focus, don't rush.

3. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

Haha until you learn the camera better, I cant give any better advice than to DEFINITELY take 2-3 pictures for every posed shot. It never fails that someone will be blinking or looking away or caught making some ugly face. :hsd:

4. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

What equipment do you have and what are you planning on using?

Got a speedlight?

5. mojito

mojito New Member

tip 1 - don't do it. everyone is on a budget, thats the worst excuse. pics are all they'll have after, so if they blow their budget on flowers and food :greddy:

reasons to not do it:
    failed expectations often ends in broken friendship
    if you don't have the basics down for good lighting and off camera lighting, you're going to be miserable and ruin a lot of shots
    you don't have the "proper" gear for the situation
    not knowing how to use the gear you have is a far worse situation though
    no back end knowledge. shoot and burn ftl

not trying to be an ass, but every day these threads pop up and the results are usually really bad :hs:

6. Girth

:eek3: :bowdown:

Layin' it down and saying it like it is.

7. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

:werd: don't do it, or if you do make sure he knows not to expect anything good

8. TheKrazyRaven

TheKrazyRaven New Member

double :werd: on the dont do it

one of my really good friends asked me to photograph their wedding and i flat out told them no simply because lack of experience, and i cannot compete with a professional photographer in terms of gear

9. tenxia

tenxia OT Supporter

I would never ever do a friend/relative's wedding. I'd rather be enjoying myself than having the pressure of taking pics of one of the most important moments in their lives.

10. darkjedi

darkjedi Muay Thai expert

Tell them not to be cheap and hire someone to do it. It's a once in a lifetime experience/event.

11. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

I did my brother in laws wedding... I'll never do another family members wedding

12. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

Where are you located? I'll gladly help you find a photographer

13. haikii

haikii New Member

We're using a D200x2. with a 18-200 lens. sb800 and a sb600 will be sourced by a uncle.

I'll ask my brother to make sure that his friend has no high expectations ay.. i personally don't know the guy so i don't mind missing out on action im just there for experience. I want to learn.

Intheworks- we're located in sydney. i'm not completely sure what the situation is that lead them to ask us to take photos but if you do find some photographers i'll be gladly to forward their details.

but i doubt you'd know any around these parts would ya.. :p thanks for the offer though.

14. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

plenty of photogs in sydney. surely they can do a deal with one who does this thing regularly.

15. Girth

My brother is getting married next year and thinks I'm just going to do his wedding since this is what I want to do. Little does he know... :mamoru:

16. hootpie

hootpie New Member

Push them to go over budget to get a good photographer. That's what my fiance and I are doing.