A&P Wedding photography - Tips, suggestions, ideas?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Astro, Aug 6, 2002.

1. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

There's a slight chance I may be suckered in doing a wedding in September. Last June I was suckered to help a friend take wedding pics (she actually did photography for one of the local papers for a couple years - so she knows what she is doing with her camera).

We've learned a little bit from the last wedding. I hope to apply some of that to this wedding (and I suckered her in helping me out and possibly found an intern to help too - go figure).

What have you learned? What ideas, tricks, tips do you have towards making great wedding pics? (angle, lens specs, film used, etc)

And of course, any war stories?

2. jinushaun

jinushaun New Member

I just recently bought a magazine with an article about wedding photos. I'm at work right now, so I'll have to wait when I get home to post it.

3. fade

fade tie your shoe bitch

I say you would definately need a battery pack so you don't have to worry about running out of batteries. Also, the recycle time i think is faster.

Film wise, overwhelming majoirity of Wedding Photographers use NPH 400 set at ISO 320. I do as well and find that setting the ISO at 320 produces best results. Some daring Wedding Photographers set NPH 400 it at ISO 250. If the couple wants B&W, I recommend Kodak T400CN or the newer Portra 400 B&W film that can be processed in C41 chemistry. Rate the B&W at 400.

Film costs alot by the way. :o

4. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

How well does NPH hold up in a church that does not allow flash photography? We used Fuji 800 and it held out ok - I definately needed a tripod (my friend didn't need one and I looked at her pics and she was right - no camera shake).

5. ibewill

ibewill New Member

for b&w film ilford > *

6. Joe

Joe 2015 :x: OT Supporter

monopods and tripods are your friend....

@ my new job, they've switched to digital for all shoots... parties, reunions, weddings... pain in the ass but heck, it works and you can tell if the lighting's off....

i used to work for a coworker from my other job, who photographed weddings... normally it'd be him doing the photo, me doing the video, but one time there was this really big wedding that we decided could use more than one photographer... so this other kid we worked with (i'm a kid too, my friend james is 42 and has been doing it for a while) was like he could do it... he was a film major and wanted to be a cinematographer so we figured he'd be good.... @ the reception, we're snapping away and the best man stands up to make a toast... i move to a good angle and try to gesture for the video guy to come over too... he's no where to be found... the camcorder was sitting on the tripod in the corner and he was off somewhere else... i had to run to the corner, grab the camcorder and record the toast... and then the kid bitches to my friend james that he only paid him 20 bucks for the shit filming he did... (backs of heads, horrible movement, people's feet) at least the pictures came out nice so i was able to edit in some stills to the video...

7. fade

fade tie your shoe bitch

hmmm no flash photography? :eek:

so, im guessing the pictures will all be posed?

8. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

No flash during the ceremony. Before and after was fair game. We shot a good collection of portraits before the ceremony and we used flash and the tripod. Then we shot the ceremony without flash. After the ceremony, I grabbed candids (using flash) while my friend took a couple staged shots.

Without flash, the 800 speed worked out ok. I captured some cool shots where everything is sharp and clear, but hand movement caused some motion blur.