A&P wedding photog advertising...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by jared_IRL, Apr 1, 2010.

1. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

What do you guys do?

I know jcolman does facebook clicks and craigslist ads, but how bout the rest of you?

Any of you listed on sites such as 'the knot' or similar? I know a TON of brides that use that site, but I have no idea how to get listed on there or how the politics of those sites work... Any ideas?

The blog is working great for me, it's slowly but surely picking up steam... Once I start shooting this spring, it should take off...

But of course, i'm always down for more ways to get my name out there....

2. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

good god "The Knot" is like crack for a bride to be. every girl I know that gets married lives on that site

3. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

exactly. I want to tap into that.

4. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

I've had referals from The Knot, and I don't even advertise there. Most of those places are a gangbang and place where people shop for prices... just like wedding shows.

I have an account on WeddingWire, but I don't pay since you can set up one for free. If you want to be on their main page featured, its $1200, second page not featured is $650 or so... or at least it was last year.

Here's what I've done so far...

I've met w/ and bought lunch for a few wedding planners and constantly keep in touch w/ them. In return, one has brought me 3 weddings just this year. The other ones have sent a couple my way, but it wasn't meant to be (yet). $40 lunch = $3000 wedding (X3 so far). Sounds good to me!!! The rest is just word of mouth and advertising. I'm meeting w/ 2 OTers on Sunday here in Austin because they saw Kevin and Nicoles pictures and want to talk packages. I'm also doing another OG OTers wedding sometime early next year because of K&N's wedding.

Being a very impatient person, I want shit happening RIGHT NOW!!! But as I go along w/ this whole thing, I'm learning that its getting better and better. I don't want to pay $400+ a MONTH for the knot just to "hopefully" book a wedding from it... but to others, its worth it. :dunno:

5. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

A lot of other photographers say that advertising on the knot is a huge waste of money.

I've been spending my $$$ on google ads and facebook ads. I also spent $800 to get featured on www.myraleighwedding.com. This is a company that has somehow secured the #1 spot on Google. The company is out the northwest somewhere. They obviously have many of these sites for other cities.

Additionally, I also purchased a small ad that will go on 25,000 paper bags that my local supermarket uses to put wine bottles in.

I don't do much CL advertising anymore since I raised my rates. I'm too expensive for CL brides now.

6. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

I was just having dinner with a wedding photographer from my area last night and we got to discussing advertising... he was talking with a better established photographer from another state and they told him that they live by the 80% rule... it was something to the affect of you completely pamper and go above and beyond with a couple of your brides, and they'll provide you with 80% of your business that year. I really think all you need is a good website, and word of mouth.

7. johan

johan Active Member

word of mouth is really the best way.

And if those words came from brides you liked, usually their friends are similar too.
    I.e. non bitchy, non bridezilla, similar income levels, etc.

so it's a good pre-screening, and its free to boot

win-win all around.

8. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

I just heard back from theknot.com

$175 a month...

holy fuck.

:rofl:

9. Pepsi1975

Pepsi1975 Mod of the Year

that is not bad considering what they are, it is a niche market, usually advertising on sites like that, no matter what it is, is more expensive

10. IntheWorks

be prepared to hear from them constantly now... I looked into the knot, told them no thanks when they came back with that ridiculous price but they still pester me.

11. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

$175 for what? Just your name on their site or magazine? Its a great deal more to do a large ad, but it could be worth it. The Knot, at least in my area is one thing that every bride looks at. I don't think I'd pay to be advertised on their website though. I don't know about any of you, but I tend not to pay attention to website ads, though I do read all the 1/4 page and larger magazine ads.

12. IntheWorks

if I remember, the 175 a month is just to be listed as one of the photographers in your area on the website.

13. NCTRNL

NCTRNL New Member

I get pestered by the knot constantly too. The price here in KC is just as high. Can't justify it yet...

14. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

I inquired with WeddingWire, and they didn't leave me alone for 6 months. Now, it's gone down to emails.