A&P wedding crew... new request.

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by IntheWorks, Feb 1, 2010.

1. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

So I got a request from a bride wanting some info on my wedding packages. She's having her wedding, and a reception in a beautiful state park that I've been pining to shoot a wedding at... it's a big destination for weddings and would be a great addition to my portfolio. Anyway, she's having a second reception a month after the wedding that will more or less a huge party that she wants coverage on as well... so she wants a quote on how much to do the 2nd reception in addition to the wedding... I'm kind of debating on how I should bill for that.

Should I just say $xx per hour and let her choose how long I'll be there, or do a package type deal...

2. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

I agree, do a per hour rate for that one, but make it a little better deal if you have to since you'll already be working on her project anyway and party pics won't take much more work than a quick just W/B adjustment for the most part.

Which park? My next ones in March at The Winery near Johnstown/Utica.
    Wish it was later in the year so things would be green. It looks like a pretty place from their website.

3. IntheWorks

hocking hills and the bride is down to travel all over the park for photos...

4. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

Oh very nice. I'd love to do one there as well. I've seen the weddings that the guys who own the wedding business down there shoot and they really need a pro or at least a good amature to do the photography. Its simply to pretty for snapshots of stiffly posed couples.

5. IntheWorks

that was her gripe as well... she said it just didn't mesh with her style....

6. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

Here's my take on it.

Last year, I did "packages" that included prints/albums/etc. Didn't sit too well because everyone always wanted to "add this..." or "take this off..." and adjust the price. It was frustrating.

THIS year, I made everything (and I do mean everything!) a la carte! So I only have 2 shooting "packages". one is w/ just me, the other is w/ 2 photogs, up to 8 hours, engagement shoot, and a CD. thats it! All day coverage, additional hours, bridal shoots, prints, and albums are all separate as additions to the main two 'packages'.

So far, its working out great and I've been averaging more per wedding this year by a substantial amount over last year. Makes for easy choosing too. That way, they don't feel obligated to buy an album if they don't know if they want one.

7. IntheWorks

I've been thinking of leaning this direction... I need to decide before I launch my site.

8. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

I was thinking about this as well after scouting out a local bridal show yesturday. All the packages seem to do is create the impression that your price and products are set. I'd prefer to let them customize it.

The down side to this is that you can quickly cost number overload, but that can be overcome by good salesmanship.

9. ( * )( * )

( * )( * ) OT Supporter

Hi Josh, did she indicate how many hours the reception would be? I would check on that first. If it's only an hour or two, I would charge per hour. If its an all day event, charge the same day rate as a wedding.

10. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

This to me makes the most sense. Package with just you and have them add on what they want. I'd be highly turned off by a package that didn't really fit my wants and honestly, in the end it is truly all about what I as the consumer want.

11. IntheWorks

she didn't specify a time, but said it wouldn't be very long, so I guess 4hrs max...

I'm pretty confident that she'll book with me.. she loved my work and said it fit her idea of what she wanted out of wedding photos. Only downside I see is that she requested selective coloring... which I told her I'd be more than willing to do (but believe that it won't end up in my port) and she had a friend who offered to do the wedding for her and he was putting together a quote... Wedding is in August (it's actually on my anniversary) so I'm hoping that she gets back with me soon.