Website submission??

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by baldyguy, Apr 14, 2005.

1. baldyguy

baldyguy Deep, but not Profound

Does anyone have any experience with website submission? I want to start my own business and I want my website to come up in the popular search engines.

2. Ractoon

Ractoon Shibumi in progress...

I believe on Google you bid for certain keywords.

3. teh professor

teh professor

Figure out what search terms you think people will use to find a site/business like yours, then put those keywords in your page titles, in the text of the pages, and in image alt tags. Sometimes it helps to visit competitors' sites, and try to outdo them in keyword placement.

Google places a lot of importance on reciprocal links, so get lots of other sites to link to you, and link back to them. If no one links to you, your site won't come up very high in search results, even if you use keywords efficiently. Do a search for "google page rank" for more info on this.

Then submit your site to the proper category in dmoz.org, wait a few months, and see how well you did.

4. Juvenall

Juvenall What Would Juvie Do?

A rule of thumb is you should build your site so it does not need to be submitted. This requires both good, clean code design of your pages, a few SEO tricks (such as keywords in your <title>) and more importantly, links from other quality and related sites.

This holds even more true with Google. If you can get a site with a PageRank of 3 or more to link to you correctly (i.e. a little text to describe the link, your keyword as the anchor and linking directly to your site and not some redirect script), you'll be crawled in a matter of days, not weeks or months. This is how I manage to get all of my sites up and listed even though they've just launched.

Something that I always find funny are those people who buy into high priced programs that claim to submit to "30,000 Search Engines" or whatever. Not only are a lot of those engines total crap with next to no traffic, they often crawl the major engines with hot keywords to fill in their missing data. So there is never a need to use these programs/services.

5. baldyguy

baldyguy Deep, but not Profound

Wow, these are great responses, anyone else?