Website Questions- Road Runner?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mstyle, Feb 4, 2003.

1. Mstyle

Mstyle Guest

I'm looking to startup a general website. Does anyone know if I could use Road Runner Cable for the connection or will they know I am running a server?

Can someone help?

2. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

Just don't use a lot of bandwidth and you should be fine.

3. Mstyle

Mstyle Guest

How could I do that...Less traffic to the site?

4. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Yea, basically as long as it's just a small site that doesn't get too much traffic you should be ok. So, if you're wanting to start the next OT or something, it's probably a bad idea, but if you're just starting a little personal blog or whatever, you're probably fine.

5. Mstyle

Mstyle Guest

Just going to start either a video download site or a car part site

6. CompiledMonkey

:rofl:

Downloading videos will use a shitload of bandwidth. Something simple like my two sites would be what I'm talking about.

www.compiledmonkey.com
    www.compiledsolutions.org

7. Mstyle

Mstyle Guest

What did you use for your sites...Dreamweaver?

8. CompiledMonkey

JBuilder. It's an IDE for Java development. I wrote the html by hand in JBuilder.

9. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

With RoadRunner, they blocked port 80 so no inbound web requests could be made. If you know what you are doing, you can setup the web server to listen on a different port (please chose wisely). The trick is you can't register a domain because by default, the domain will point to port 80.

Its been 2 years since I was with RoadRunner so they may have changed their policies. Test it out before hand and if it doesn't work, then change the port.

Also, check out what your upload bandwidth is. If its 128kbps or less, you're going to find any more then one user downloading video will kill your bandwidth (they will complain the download is slow and you will probably complain that you can't use the 'net because people are trying to download stuff off your server).

Give it a whirl and see how it goes...

10. knightm3

knightm3 Guest

I'm currently running my server off of RoadRunner. Our upstream cap [NY] is 50 KB/sec., so no one should bother you about how much bandwidth you use because the maximum is regulated by them. You'll only be penalized if they catch you trying to uncap your modem.

You may encounter another problem if you don't have a static IP address. [We use DHCP up here.] You'll retain your IP address as long as RoadRunner doesn't reboot its servers. I kept my original one for over a year, and just recently had to change it. If you decide to bind your IP to a domain name, make sure whoever's hosting the domain name supports dynamic IP's. [In case yours should change.]

11. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties