website question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by WhiteRabbit, Jul 7, 2005.

1. WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit The Next Step of Human Evolution

As some of you may know, I am working on a website for a small local company. I have the layout and everything and it's all looking good and I just have one question for you all.

When the website is maximized you can see everything on the page. When I make the window smaller, the website does not shrink with the window and I have to scroll to see everything. How can I make it so that the website shrinks with the window so all the content can still be viewed in the window?

Thanks!

2. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Uhm... would be kind of difficult to see how we could accomplish this without looking at the link. I don't know whether you're using tables for the design or keeping it XHTML compliant. Without a link, it would be hard for us to tell you how to do this.

Since most people are still stuck on old and out-dated methods, I'm going to assume you are using tables for th e design. If that is the case, then you must specify percentages instead of exact pixel widths. When you specify exact pixel widths it's going to stay that specific length. When you specify percentages, it will shrink the webpage to whatever percentage you specified when the browser shrinks.

3. system_shutdown

system_shutdown Your local n00b dumbass.

well, tables are easier to use damn <br /> business, gets annoying in blogs most of the time. My site, my way!

/end rant

4. Shampoo

Shampoo Rinse & Repost

:werd:

Tables for me everytime, css for font sizes and such. Trying to do a tableless design is nice and all for the designer, but is a headache to test it on all machines. All my table designs work flawless.

5. system_shutdown

system_shutdown Your local n00b dumbass.

oh yeah, css. gotta have css, even to do basic stuff. :werd:

6. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Tables should be restricted specifically for tabular data. Design should be 100% done in CSS. I'm so tired of going to these so-called "XHTML 1.0" and HTML 4.01 transitional compliant websites, just to see that they broke every rule existing in their source code.

Tables are extremly easy and easy to get working and looking good in all browsers. I guess that's why designers still use them. It's time to take it up a notch.

:hsugh: