Website 'Media Player'

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Jon, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Jon

Jon New Member

Do any of you know if it is possible to make it so if any .wmv / .avi file is clicked on my website, it is automatically loaded either in that window, or in a popup.. instead of prompting user to download?

People upload files to my website, and want to be able to play the videos right on the site.. instead of having to download.

:hsd:

2. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

how the browser deals with .wmv/.avi files is up to the browser and the operating systems default file types. instead of linking directly to the file you can either embed it in the current page or you can have a javascript link that opens a new window with the file embedded in the popup.

3. Jon

Jon New Member

i was hoping there may be a chance i could manipulate the way my website handles any url with *.wmv* in it.. maybe using the .htaccess... heh... guess i'll have to do things the hard (right) way...

thanks

4. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

well you can link to a script that will output different headers and change the content-type while keeping the file as a wmv but that just helps the browser and OS know what to do with it. examples with php here: http://us3.php.net/manual/en/function.header.php

ya but if you actually want it to play inside the browser you'll have to embed it.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

short of using a windows media player plugin, java applet, or flash you can't guarantee that function. In the end, the browser decides how to handle it.

6. Jon

Jon New Member

That's what I am going to try do do..

[edit] i sucks, read next post [/edit]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  7. Jon

Jon New Member

Okie Dokie... I'm a little stuck (and off to bed so I have given up until tomorrow night after work)

Dumpy: (or anybody) ... embedding into a php file is easy.. manually... how can I make it so clicking on 'mysite.com/uploaded/ai2a/funnylol.avi' will be rewritten to say... 'mysite.com/streaming/video.php' with the 'funnylol.avi' video embedded into it...

Or is that too dificult / too much work / not possible?

8. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

You want flash video, man. Its REALLY easy to create a playable .swf (flash) video if you have .flv video, or any kind of video for that matter. Get Flash (the program) and create videos to embed. It will even output the HTML to embed them for you, and you can easily set options for the player like audio controls, FF/rewind, etc.

Otherwise you just want to embed the video file in HTML. You do not need PHP.

Do this: <EMBED SRC="filename.???"></EMBED>

Look up the EMBED HTML docs.

Here's an example of some audio: <embed width="200" height="30" src="http://dev.myapp.com/static/audio/bob/restaurant.wav"/>

9. Jon

Jon New Member

Converting to flv/swf is easy... my problem is I have people uploading .wmv, .avi, .mpg files, and I am trying to see if there is a way to redirect a direct URL if www.mysite.com/video.mpg to something like www.mysite.com/video.php > video.php having code in it to grab that video and play it...

I think I am complicating things too much.

10. EkriirkE

EkriirkE Zika Xenu OT Supporter

<EMBED SRC="file.wmv">

11. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Then I suggest you read my post again, because I included instructions for embedding any kind of video using HTML.

:squint:

12. Jon

Jon New Member

I can embed... my issue was the video is being uploaded, and the url to the file will cause the browser (most likely) to download it...

I sort of figured this out... but I am having a problem...

I wanted when a user clicked www.mysite.com/video.avi, it to load in an embedded html/php file...

The easiest way to do this I figured was using .htaccess...

I have a php file that when combined with www.mysite.com/video.php?vid=video.avi ... it plays it in the embedded page.

I then used a rewrite rule in .htaccess to rewrite the url www.mysite.com/video.avi to www.mysite.com/video.php?vid=video.avi...

Anyway... the video isn't loading when it is redirected using the .htaccess!!

RewriteRule (.+).avi http://www.mysite.com/video.php?vid=$1\.avi [QSA,L]

*edited out website name because until i'm finished i dont want it published.

13. Jon

Jon New Member

CLIFFS:

Embedded video = easy and works
    Rewriting link to video to the embedded link = easy? and no works... WtF