WEB Webmasters- AWstats question...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Guardfather, May 29, 2004.

1. Guardfather

Guardfather The Paradox

Anyone know how AWstats determines if a user adds the site to favorites/bookmarks it? My stats say that something like 20% of my viewers each month bookmark my site, which I'm sure is bullshit. It's a boring site that probably only a few friends would have enough interest in to bookmark it.

I'd like to know why this is happening.

2. Ximian

Ximian New Member

From what I hear, it's when favicon.ico is saved. IE 5.5 (I think) by default does this when it visits a page, but this should also be done when you look at your bookmarks.

Someone could have bookmarked your site then looked at his bookmarks, many times.

"IE5 was the first to use favicon.ico, and it would only grab it when the user bookmarked the page (which drove privacy advocates nuts) but since then, every major browser has embraced support for it and most browsers load it by default even if the page isn't bookmarked. for a while, the most militant anti-microsoft folks in the mozilla community refused to support it because it was a microsoft thing, and they tried to get people to start using <link rel="shortcut icon"> but that never really caught on. nowadays it's safe to presumet that a browser is likely to check "favicon.ico" and if that 404s to also check /favicon.ico"

Last edited: May 29, 2004