webmail problem, TWO people with the same issue

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 7960, Apr 4, 2007.

1. 7960

7960 New Member

Two friends independently called me with the exact same problem. They don't know each other or work at the same place, either, so this is weird.

When either is home and uses comcast.net to check email they can see some number of read and unread messages in their inbox. They are NOT using outlook or outlook express, they're both going to comcast.net and logging in and using their interface.

Problem, when they're remotely logged in they see NOTHING in their inbox. If they receive a new message they'll see that when remote but it shows up as the only email. They can read it, leave it there, etc. It stays there. But if they go home and open it again, the next time they log in remotely it's not there.

We tested this with my vpn. I logged in as my friend remotely (through vpn) and he logged in at home. We were sitting side-by-side but effectively I was coming in from "outside." I could not see the 10 read and 2 unread messages in his inbox. I sent a test message and I could see it. I opened it, closed it, logged off and back on...still there. He clicked on it from home and the next time I refreshed (5s later) it was gone.

WTF? I checked all the user settings and there doesn't seem to be anything that could prevent this. What's up? It's very strange that two of my friends called less than a week apart with the same issue.

2. 7960

7960 New Member

to make this clear, there is NO email client involved so "leave a copy on the server" isn't an issue.

thanks

3. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Believe it or not, I actually saw Norton Antivirus cause Earthlink's web mail interface to break both in IE and Firefox. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself. Might be something to check out.

4. 7960

7960 New Member

I have norton on the two machines I have access to right now. I'll try tomorrow from a machine that's never had norton loaded.

thanks