WebLogic vs Tomcat

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by RaginBajin, Mar 3, 2004.

1. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

People at work are talking about migrating a site that I have from Tomcat to Weblogic in order to use some security measures that they have imposed.

So My question is What the big difference between them? Is one better than another? Can a person install it on their laptop or little linux machine and run a little development site off of it?

2. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

WebLogic is a beast. Nothing quite as small and streamlined as Tomcat. The major difference in the two is cost. WebLogic is quite expensive (can't remember the exact price right now) and of course Tomcat is free. You could use WebLogic for a small site, but you wouldn't because of cost. Unless you were making good money from the site that is.

3. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

We apparently have quite a bit of licenses for it, so we do not have to consider the money factor.

4. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

Well you're good then. ;) I personally felt like it was a lot of bloat when I first used it a few years ago. I think at that point it was 6.1 and then 7.0 (I think..). It is quite powerful, but not that many Java applications need all that WebLogic has to offer. The major difference between Tomcat and WebLogic would be that WebLogic is a true application server where Tomcat is more of a web server. In WebLogic, you can do anything in the J2EE spec where some things can't happen in Tomcat. Also, from word of mouth, WebLogic is considered more robust and scalable compared with Tomcat. I've never seen any tests to confirm this, but general word of mouth would tell you the same.

5. aphoric

aphoric Even if god did exist, it would be necessary to ab

Weblogic is free to develop on, so you only really need a license for your deployment platforms. Weblogic allows you to cluster and build a true J2EE application that uses Entity Beans to access a database. I run Oracle and Weblogic and my debugger all on my laptop (1.8GHz/1GB RAM) and it is not too bad. Weblogic has a great administration interface. Weblogic also allows you to set up clusters, which I don't think Tomcat can even do. Another deal with a true J2EE app server is that you are not supposed to access the local file system on the server. So, all your web resources will be in WAR files, if you store data or access it, it is done with the DB using entity beans (although session beans should be an intermediary.) If you are saving/retrieving files, you can use CLOBS and the like. The security setup is pretty comprehensive and you can do it via the web console, or in your configuration xml files inside your EAR file.