Webhosting suggestions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Zak8022, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

My second job, a wine/liquor store is looking to start a relatively basic website. Self-hosting is pretty much out, we only have DSL at the store, and our POS 'server' is pretty slow, running XP (not sure if its home or pro... prolly pro). I dont expect much traffic, so it doesnt really need to be anything crazy.

Our budget is pretty darn small too... my boss was hoping for a webhosting solution that has a one time charge, but i've never heard of that.. its all monthly based. I saw Dreamhost stuff... but wasnt sure how much realistic bandwidth 1GB/month is.

I only have experience with IIS as a webserver... so if whatever hosting solution i end up getting doesnt have IIS, how hard would you say it would be for me to learn something else? I have just about no linux experience. :(

Any help would be appreciated.

Also, if anyone does freelance website design/creation, PM me. I'll let you know in advance we cant offer much in the way of pay, but it'd be something.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

if you get shared hosting, you won't have to worry about the webserver. 99% of the time it's Apache, but you won't have any direct control, anyway, so it's a moot point.

1GB bandwidth isn't much, at all. But for less than $10 a month you can find many fine hosting packages.

3. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

I jsut assumed we'd be on a shared environment. Excuse me not making sense... i only barely know what i'm talking about. So if its shared, i'd just what, send the website files to the host, and they'd get it posted up in their server? Or, something to that effect?

Where might you suggest i start looking? I know Google... but i'm honestly not sure what to search for. I get a bunch of useless crap when i search for 'webhosting.'

Sorry for being a noob... i feel really dumb.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Well I can't imagine any host not giving you FTP access... So you'd simply FTP into the server and put the files in the appropriate directory.

There's LOTS of webhosting sites available.

Heck, if it's a basic site then I'd host it for just keeping my AV active on OT. Lemme know if that interests you.

5. Schproda

Schproda New Member

I use Powweb.com for the 7.77 a month. It has more than my own personal server had, many integrated applications, great support, DNS, Email, FTP, HTTP, sub-domains,, Frontpage, CGI, PHP, web administration and everything you'd want from a host with the exception of a shell account.

6. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

Ok, thanks for your help guys. I think i need us to fine tune our website (read: create) first. That way i'll know how complicated it is... though i am 99.5% sure it'll be very basic.

Jolly, i'll keep that offer in mind, thanks.

7. Intel

Intel Guest

8. phatguy88

phatguy88 OT Supporter

1and1.com has insane hosting deals.

For 10 a month i get 100gb of space and 1 terabyte of bandwidth each month. and its fast too.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i have had poor experiences with 1&1. Poor speeds, and spotty reliability.

10. negative zero

negative zero New Member