WEB Webhost Options

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by scotty, Apr 30, 2009.

1. scotty

scotty why don't you take a seat right over there? OT Supporter

So my friend who has been hosting me for the past couple years is ditching his webhosting box, which uses Plesk 8.3.0. I am trying to decide what to do here since I bearly use my website (photo gallery), but the email account linked to it is my primary email. IMAP support for email is pretty important to me since I like having everything synced.

I was looking at WebzPro and they seem to have a good reputation, and the basic $5.95 a month plan seems perfect. The problem is they use cPanel and transfering my data from Plesk to cPanel seems like a pain.

I don't know if I should just get a basic webhosting plan for my site and email or just pay a couple bucks for some email hosting service. I have an iPhone so I was looking at mail2web exchange services for push, but I don't know if that's what I am looking for. I don't understand if they are a host or what.

Any suggestions?

2. Swift

Swift http://www.bounceweb.com

What's the most important requirement(s) for your web hosting? I could always hook you up with a trial if you just want to play around for a month :)

3. scotty

I am most concerned with a seamless transfer of my email. I don't mind switching to cpanel, but I just don't want to loose anything. I've heard cpanel has a plesk transfer tool in WHM. I have root ssh access to the plesk box i am currently on so I could transfer it that way.

4. Swift

Swift http://www.bounceweb.com

That is true. I never actually tried it to know if it's seemless though. Wanna be a guinea pig? :naughty:

5. Ev0lv3

Ev0lv3 New Member

I just transferred all the sites I host over to a cpanel server.

The way I transfered everyones email was made 2 imap accounts in Outlook express, one with the old server, and new, and transfered them between the two. Was a pain, but it worked seemlessly.

6. fishbulb

fishbulb Active Member

7. SmugZombie

SmugZombie OT Supporter

just use googleapps for your imap needs

8. Ev0lv3

Ev0lv3 New Member

well fuck me sideways, I wish I knew about that beforehand.

9. scotty

details?

10. Audioholic

Audioholic New Member

I am a host and there is a cPanel utlity in the root control panel which will allow you to transfer cPanel, Ensim, Plesk and other control panel sites over to cPanel.

As far as I know the Plesk > cPanel transfer utility works fine, the new host should have no problem doing it.

I have not done Plesk yet but did about 400 sites from Ensim and thousands of cPanel transfers with ease so I would imagine it should be the same.