Webhost - 1and1.com - reviews?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dubbsy, Oct 25, 2004.

1. dubbsy

dubbsy New Member

I've had my own website now for the past year through glowhost.com. I've had zero issues with them (I've just got the basic package)...
    However a few other names came up for hosts, 1and1 being one of them. (I remember them from when they had their 200 or 300 meg free special)...

Comparing packages, I"m getting "screwed" at glowhost.. 15m space compared to 1000m space, 1G transfer compared to 25G transfer....again, just looking at basic packages.

That extra space would be great as I'm a multimedia guy and plan to host a lot of what I've done in an online portfolio...

leads me to the question, has anyone dealt with 1and1 and do they have any particular feelings towards them?

My current deal is up here with-in the next 20 days...would like to make a move before as my domain name is also due and being sought after.

(might also take reccomendations for other hosts)

Many thanks..

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I have a couple domains with them. I use their POP3 and SMTP servers for one of them. So far its been pretty reliable. There was one weekend a few months ago where incoming mail took several hours to make it to my inbox but that was fixed and hasn't returned. My sites are real simple though. No SSL, shoping cart, etc.

One thing I have heard: Don't transfer your domain to them. Manage your domain on your own (ie through Network Solutions's site) and just update your DNS to point to 1&1's DNS servers. I've head that if you let 1&1 manage your domains for you and you decide to change hosts in the future, it can be a pain in the ass to get them to let go.

3. dubbsy

dubbsy New Member

Okay, I'll keep that in mind. I've got my domain through a seperate service, so that will work out. (might as well snag another domain while I"m at it, free one through 1and1..maybe, have to double check that.)