web stats software

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Leb_CRX, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

need something for tracking hits, entrance and exit pages as well

budget is not an issue as the client's got $...need something web based and fairly easy to use

cannot be open source...I already recommended awstats, but they are totally against opensource, even though some of their servers already have it :coolugh: morons

anyways ya, I looked at deepmetrix but they've been bought by microsoft...so need some recommendations.

thanks

2. Dnepr

Dnepr Guest

Your clients are idiots :mamoru:

I just came in to say AwStats before I read your post :rofl:

3. Leb_CRX

:rofl: yep

maor

4. tyrionlannister

tyrionlannister New Member

Use Urchin or Google Analytics. Google bought Urchin a while ago and turned it into Analytics, but the Urchin version is still there.

Google Analytics uses the same core as Urchin (since it was based on the same code), but has a nicer interface. Urchin doesn't look as pretty, has a pricetag attached, and it hasn't been updated in years. But there's still development on Urchin and a new release is planned.

The only downfall to Google Analytics is that it won't record all of the data that Urchin does. Analytics operates separately from your server and requires that your site visitors use third party javascript and cookies when visiting your site. Some users dislike this or have security software which prevents their use. Urchin operates on your server and gets around a few descriptions. Generally, you'll see about 20-25% more data using Urchin than Analytics.

I personally use Google Analytics, but I've used Urchin in the past. Both of these are much better than AwStats. With AWStats you can tell which pages are viewed the most, but with Urchin/GA, you can tell which link a person is most likely to click on each individual pages. You can assign and track goals with partial pages to figure out which content or design helps drive your users to action. You can gauge the stickiness of your site by tracking how frequently your visitors come back (if at all) and how long it takes them to read an individual page. There's a lot more, and it's a lot more powerful than just wanting to know your entrance/exit pages. Maybe it's too much information for your client, but it's very pretty and it will integrate with their SEM campaigns very well.

If you want to PM me your email address (must be a Google Account email address), I'll authorize you to view Google Analytics reports on one of my domains for a few days.

5. Leb_CRX

thanks man, I've used google analytics at my old place of employement, but the onyl thing it seems to lack is the in-> out pages

I will check out Urchin...I need to make a call on this tonight, since I promissed the client... :mad: PITA, I have to wing it

6. tyrionlannister

It definitely doesn't lack the in/out pages. Check the Content tab section, it's very robust goes way beyond the "Top Landing Pages" and "Top Exit Pages" views.

You should check out Sybex's Web Analytics. Good luck on your project.

7. Leb_CRX

thanks man :bigthumb:

I put the ball in their court now

gave them 3 choices

1- awstats on their internal server, logs get ftp'ed over daily
    2- we buy deepmetrix and use it, when support is done, no issue, we'll have it figured out by tehn
    3- go with On Demand – One Stat Premium – cost 275$ a year - http://www.onestat.com/html/servicesS2M.html

I fucking hate having to spoon feed them, I already gave my recommendation of awstats, before one of their IT staff (who can't fucking setup a basic install of IIS) jumped all over me

dumbasses

8. tyrionlannister

Well, AWStats does suck, comparatively. It's fine for a hobby site, but if you're trying to track the cpa and performance of individual advertising campaigns you definitely need something more.

But then, the robust tracking software does nothing if the people who are using it don't know how to interpret and act on the additional information it provides.