web sever got owned :wtc:

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Leb_CRX, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

lately I been noticing tons of unwanted traffic on my webserver...

bunch of shit like trying to run cmd and what not, and it would go on for pages, more then normal traffic, I dont care, so I was laughing it off cause clearly they wasent successful....but today I turned on my monitor, and I notice it's not booting...oh noes 'invalid system disk' or someshit...hahaha looks like I got owned, if it's from someone on this board that did this, holla, I dont give a fuck, I turned on the monitor to shut it down since I am brining it to a friend's house to install linux on it anyhow...

talk about good coincidience...now I worry that my soon to be (after work today) rh9 box will get hacked.. :ugh: :ugh:

I was running win2k, latest security patches and apache2.0...

I wonder if there's anyway to recover the log files to see exactly what was succesful and what was not, and what they did exactly...and I wonder exactly what they did, i'll probally pull out the HD and take a look at it from my friend's machine to see if there's any data left on it :x: :x: :x: :x:

2. MattIROC

MattIROC has a semi nice av. changed due to rules :(

sucks that someone got into it :(

3. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

boot of ur cd and launch recovery console. who knows ur boot.ini could of been erased!

4. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Does anyone else think that it is highly unlikey that the two things he said are realted?

5. TheDarkHorizon

TheDarkHorizon \xC0\xFF\xEE

Me.

You are probably getting probed by the NIMDA virus, which is very likely to occur when you run a webserver on your home ISP. I get IIS vuln scans every hour from other Comcast hosts. I just ignore them. You can't really "laugh at people scanning you" becuase more than likely it is a virus/trojan doing it without intention from the user on remote end.

I'd do more troubleshooting before jumping to the conclusion that your machine was hacked.

6. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

:werd:

7. Leb_CRX

actually y'all are right, I got to my friend's house and the BIOS didn't even detect the HD...wtf, we ended up getting pissed, and tried it about 4-5 times before we took it out of my machine and tryed it on his...anyhow, we droped it in the process, and when we plugged it into his machine it detected fine, then we plugged it back in mine and it was working again :dunno:

some weird shit is going on, now the HD works whenver it wants and dosent work sometimes...some fucked up shit for sure

anyone got a small HD for sale? something thats >4 <10

8. Leb_CRX

the thing that dosent make sence is that same IP was browsing through my site a day or two before...well from what I remember and It's on the rogers domain, not that it matters, and it was really inconsistant, like it's been going on for like 3-4 days or so, and it's not the same shit being ran, and it's sometimes in afternoon, sometimes at night...

anyhow, i'm gonna do some reading on the NIMDA virus, you could defintivally be right :hs:

9. Leb_CRX

thing is the log files read whoever/whatever was doing this trying to access the cmd.exe...

who knows if they are successful in running that, as far as I know, they can't, but I dont know much about what can or cannot be run

10. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Back when my webserver used to be run off AT&T Cable Service my error logs would be flodded with requests for that. Like was stated earlier it was Nimda or Code Red.

You said it was Apache on Win2k anyways, Apache isn't open to teh Nimda and Code Red attacks. Only IIS is.

11. Dommi

Dommi Guest

second that its probably nimda

12. stillspiraling

stillspiraling Would you like some making fuck, BERSERKER

run a gentoo linux server and worry no more about any of that. emerge sync and emerge -U world about once a week... Also run iptables. Linux is the only way to go for a more secure server.

13. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

.....Due to this interesting statement of ">4 < 10" I hereby withdraw my support for you as C&P mod :p

4<X<10 :fawk:

14. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

:rofl:

15. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

:o :rofl:

16. Leb_CRX

you will have to excuse me I wrote that at work and I type faster then I can think so :o :o