Web Server Basics?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by OrionDartanyu, Jun 3, 2007.

1. OrionDartanyu

OrionDartanyu I don't think I'm as revolutionary as Galileo, but

Well, I've always had multiple computers, but they've always been desktops so I never felt the need to set up a server of some form. But I just got my first laptop yesterday, and I found that within 24 hours I unconsciously turned my old trust worthy desktop into a File Server. So now I have the server bug, and not to mention, my father just got a new desktop yesterday as well (coincidently) and he said I can have his desktop. It's a good desktop too, 2.6 P4 1.5 GB RAM... what not.

But anyways, I've now got the bug and want to set up a webserver. Why? No reason... except I have no background in this. So does anyone know of any links or eBooks that will describe the basics of creating a webserver? Also, though I know this is probably a no-no in the webserver world, but it will be on an XP Pro computer... to start. I will install linux later, but first I'd prefer to learn on XP.

But anyways, any links, articles, eBooks, etc. would be nice to know about. If you know of a good book (physical) let me know... hopefully it's not too expensive, but I prefer e______

Thanks!

2. peerk

peerk New Member

I don't know about books, but setting up IIS in XP pro is easy.

Control Panel\Add Or Remove Programs\Add Remove Windows Components\Internet Information Services(IIS)

I believe your connections will be limited to 10. I'm not sure if that is an IIS limitation or XP. So using Apache instead of IIS might get around that.

If you want the box to be accessable from outside your LAN you will need to set up port forwarding on your router. But keep in mind that this is usually against your ISP's rules and a bad idea for anything other than a private site.

3. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

1) Install Linux.
    2) Install Apache.

4. OrionDartanyu

Hrm, but any background information on it, also where to go from there? Gotta be some literature somewhere on the net for this...

5. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

6. OrionDartanyu

Though I do thank you for your help, I'd prefer to learn this on XP first before I go dive into linux, apache and all the other more hardcore stuff... I want to make sure this is really something I'm into first...

7. copiertalk

copiertalk Secure Our Borders! OT Supporter

8. goober

goober New Member

Google "wamp" - Wamp server is a ready to go server that will set itself up on your computer. If you type in its IP address from another computer you will get whatever is in the "www" directory.

9. OrionDartanyu

:bowdown: thank you thank you thank you.

Out of all the millions of things that I downloaded, this is the one that worked for me... fan-fucking-tastic. :bowdown: