WEB Web Meets Admin - MyBB to vBulletin

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Foxx, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Foxx

Foxx New Member

Alright, so I'm finally moving my newest forum, www.WebMeetsAdmin.com from MyBB to vBulletin software.

But they will be on different hosts. So I'm not sure if I'll be able to use vBulletin's ImpEx system. It would kind of suck if I can't. I know it is a very small forum but this would be the SECOND time I'm losing everything due to changing hosts.

If anyone has ever done this before it would be great if you could help. I'm thinking I download the files via FTP, download the database, then redo both onto the new host, upload vBulletin and start the ImpEx process. Would that work?

Thank you for the help.

2. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

I've used impex in the past to move a decent sized forum from phpBB -> vb. The SQL dump was 1.5GB uncompressed.

Impex took forever to run, especially since you have to map the users to the ID by hand... It did work though. I'm 99.9999999999% sure there was an option to convert from mybb in Impex.

The best way to convert to VB:

do a full SQL dump of old database (date + structure)
    Import into database on new host
    Install vbulletin on new host on new database
    Setup impex to point to each
    Run impex
    profit?

3. Foxx

Foxx New Member

Ok, thanks. I'm going to tell my partner and I guess we'll give it ago. If worse comes to worse we'll start fresh on vB and forget the transfer.

4. thomor25

thomor25 I make money online....

yeah upload both to the new server and run it there