web hosting vs hosting on my own

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Soccerfn10, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Soccerfn10

Soccerfn10 New Member

I'm thinking about starting up my own website (something small just for a few friends) and was wondering what would the advantages be of hosting the website on my own server (which I would have to build) vs using a web hosting company. It would be a very small amount of traffic and wouldn't need regular maintenance so I wouldn't need much of a server or even a super fast connection. I have very little server experience with regards to running a website but I am quite tech savy. I think if I really tried, I could do it. I'm not sure if I'm ready for all the support needed to host a website on my own yet though.

Anyway, I've found several web hosting companies online and they offer very good pricing (around $10). Only problem is, I wouldn't really see much justification in paying that in the case my website rarely gets any hits. Specifically, there might be a couple months where I'm able to make regular updates and then I might take a break from it for a while. In other words, the updates and, therefore, traffic would be sporadic at best.

I don't want to do one of those lame free web hosting places that have popups and ads everywhere. I would also need enough flexibility to say receive email, ftp, run some applets, etc.

So my question to OT is, in your experience if you have any, what is your preferred method? Host your own or use a web host? In the case of a web host, which site have you had good results with or heard good things about?

Thanks guys...

2. maxxpower

maxxpower OG Lauren Crew - Observer OT Supporter

Its likely to cost you some sort of money.
    If you wanted to host your own, lets say on your home DSL or Cable connection, you will need to use some sort of software to allow a static IP to be bound to your domain.
    Unless you dont mind giving your friends an http:ipaddress intead of a .com or qualified domain name.
    Since your requirements are email, ftp, applets etc, i would say go for a cheapo linux based host. I use ourinternet.us and their basic linux host is like 6$ a month with no setup fee. Get an account for a couple months and mess around, it will be worth the 12$ for the experience alone.

But, its also fun just to set up a server at home as well, so, i say, try both :) go the IP based route at home and get a hosted domain.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

guarantee running one off your dsl/cable modem violates their AUP

4. JaJae

JaJae New Member

Trying to run a website off your home computer is a good way to get your internet canceled.

5. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

If they notice (Which honestly, as long as the traffic is low, they probably won't), they'll more than likely send him a warning first.

However, there are a couple of providers out there who will allow it. Contact your customer support if you can't find the info on their website.

6. Kewlb

Kewlb New Member

Uhhh.. if he has cable/dsl chances are it is a dynamic IP and not a static IP. He does not need "software" to do this (unless he wants the updates automatic in which case he will need some kind of dynamic dns update software). He simply would need to register his domain and then point his nameserver to a 3rd party host that allows for dynamic updates (I use www.dnsexit.com). He then just needs to install the client on a PC that is always up that will change the dns record each time his IP changes. If he has a static IP this is not needed and he can simply add the A record once and it will be done.

7. maxxpower

maxxpower OG Lauren Crew - Observer OT Supporter

I mixed up static with dynamic, you are right. I got the two terms backwards.

8. Soccerfn10

Soccerfn10 New Member

Thanks guys. Some of that I understood. Some I didn't. But it looks like the hardest part of hosting on my own is the static IP address. I have my own domain name (not currently doing anything) but I'm sure I could give my friends an IP address as opposed to forcing the static IP. I don't think it's that big of a deal.

Anyway, the main reason I want to get it up and running is because some friends and I wrote a program that acts as a NCAA Tournament Challenge for March Madness (see http://games.espn.go.com/tcmen/frontpage). In short, it's a way to guess the Men's NCAA basketball tournament. Well for it to run and save everyone's results, it needs to be running on the web server (it only runs in volatile memory at this point - I would hope to be able to implement the use of a database for long term storage down the road). If I use a web host, would I be able to run the server side of the program? I wouldn't think so. Please let me know if I'm wrong.

That being said, I would think I need to get my computer, or build a computer, to act as a web server. Do any of you know of a good guide to setting up a home computer to act as a web server? Also, what would you think the minimum requirements would be for a webserver be for such a small site? At its peak there would maybe be 10 unique visitors a day, some with multiple visits per day. So at most, 50 hits a day if people check back frequently.

Thanks again