Web Hosting N00b v.HALPLOL

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Guld, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Guld

Guld 昇龍拳

I'm looking to get a website of sorts going, but I'm unsure as to how I should host it. I'm not looking to do anything major; I'm just looking for something to play around with. There seem to be a retarded amount of hosts to choose from and I'm not entirely sure who to go with. I've also found a number of free hosts as well, but not sure if they'd fulfill my needs. I want to have my own domain name (meaning I'd probably be registering one and then transferring it) and I would prefer to use an FTP client like Filezilla. I don't think I'd need a crazy amount of bandwidth and storage, and I'm thinking of registering a domain name and just transferring it to a free host. Does this sound feasible?

Any one have any thoughts on getting a little hobby site going?

2. jvblackxj

jvblackxj VW4Life

You will always have to register a domain with an appropriate company. I use GoDaddy. If you want to host your own, you can use your own machine with your internet connection (assuming your ISP allows port 80). Otherwise you need to be loooking at what language you are planning to write in.

HTML (basic): any host should work
    PHP/PERL: make sure the host can handle these languages
    ASP/ASP.net: there are very few asp/asp.net hosts that are free.

best suggestion is to do a google search for the hosting site.

3. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

I've been pleased with AN Hosting (owned by MidPhase but has cheaper prices/better plans than MidPhase). Granted its the only place I've used, you'll get a lot of responses if you post this in the Webmaster Lair or just look through there (this comes up alot).