web gurus, help please!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by chansigril, Jun 17, 2006.

1. chansigril

chansigril not an og, just a g OT Supporter

i just returned from bermuda and am putting together a little webpage using frontpage :)

my problem comes about when i go to create a slide show. this is front page 2002 btw. it allows me to create the slide show with no issue, however it will not allow me to save it. the error i get is "server error: source couldn't send 'photogallery/photo27049/sldshow.js'. this is when i am saving on my local machine, not my remote server. obviously when i preview or publish my site i have the same problem, with this line appearing where the slide show should be:

[file:///C:/DOCUME~1/CHANSI~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/FrontPageTempDir/wpe30.htm]

i went in and took a look at the code frontpage was generating, this appears to be the problem child:

<!--webbot bot="PhotoAlbum" U-Include="file:///C:/DOCUME~1/CHANSI~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/FrontPageTempDir/wpe30.htm" clientside TAG="BODY" -->

i know the basics of html but am not that familiar with it and so this one has me stumped. any help is appreciated, thanks!

btw, i went ahead and tried looking at some code for some of the other web album generators out there, it has gotten me nowhere. i would rather not use a web album generator unless there is someway to insert the albums into the page (and i obviously couldn't fine a way to do this) as i'm trying to put everything on a single page. thanks again!

2. JaJae

JaJae New Member

Without seeing the entire build I don't think we can help you. But including a temp file doesn't seem like good programming code on Frontpage's part.

3. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Front page sucks. Try working remotely off some server, hopefully that will elliminate the local paths problem you have. I can't beleive frontpage does that shit.

4. chansigril

when you are saying build are you referring to the entire coding of the page?

if so:

<html>

<head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Language" content="en-us">
    <meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft FrontPage 5.0">
    <meta name="ProgId" content="FrontPage.Editor.Document">
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
    <title>Boarding</title>
    <meta name="Microsoft Theme" content="breeze 011">
    </head>

<body>

<p align="center"><font face="ParkAvenue BT" size="7">Boarding</font></p>

<!--webbot bot="PhotoAlbum" U-Include="file:///C:/DOCUME~1/CHANSI~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/FrontPageTempDir/wpe59.htm" clientside TAG="BODY" --><p align="center">&nbsp;</p>

<p align="center"><font face="ParkAvenue BT" size="7">The Ship</font></p>
    <p align="center"><font face="ParkAvenue BT" size="7">Dockyard in Bermuda</font></p>
    <p align="center"><font face="ParkAvenue BT" size="7">Hamilton</font></p>
    <p align="center"><font face="ParkAvenue BT" size="7">The Fort in Hamilton</font></p>
    <p align="center"><font face="ParkAvenue BT" size="7">Excursions</font></p>
    <p align="center"><font face="ParkAvenue BT" size="7">The Wedding</font></p>

</body>

</html>

5. JaJae

JaJae New Member

Try deleting this code:

<!--webbot bot="PhotoAlbum" U-Include="file:///C:/DOCUME~1/CHANSI~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/FrontPageTempDir/wpe59.htm" clientside TAG="BODY" -->

6. chansigril

i hear ya :mad: at first i couldn't believe it was a local problem, i rarely save i just publish and save later. i ran into this problem and then tried to save locally, realizing only then that it was a local problem. other pics and web components have published beautifully, it's only the slideshow feature that is giving me this problem. fuck ms, i'll grab a copy of dreamweaver next time i'm over at my boy's house. he raves about it constantly.

until then i'm stuck with frontpage tho :wtc:

7. JaJae

JaJae New Member

What error if any do you get when you delete the above code?

8. chansigril

i tried that, it just removes the entire album :wtc:

when i'm in html view, you can see that line is grey, which means it is broken. unfortunately it is broken when it is generated by frontpage :mad: unbelievable.

9. chansigril

no error. the album is gone.

10. JaJae

JaJae New Member

try this..

Force frontpage to create the file. Use explorer to get to that file and copy it to a local directory.

Update your code to reference to the new location. That should fix your problem.

EDIT: I recommend putting it in your default C: directory for now just for testing purposes.

11. chansigril

good thinking :eek3: gimme five minutes :x:

12. JaJae

JaJae New Member

What can I say, it's a gift.

13. tyrionlannister

tyrionlannister New Member

If you're only designing this page to share your photos, try using Google's Picasa Web Albums or Yahoo Photos or some similar free service. It'll save you some time if you don't actually need to learn html for some other reason.

Or.. If you have image editing software like Adobe Photoshop, it should be able to generate an album for you automatically, complete with thumbnails and everything you need. Photoshop has a LOT of layout options for this. (File -> Automate -> Web Photo Gallery).

14. JaJae

JaJae New Member

She must have her own domain that she gives out to friends and family. She wants the album on her own page it seems which is why she's trying to avoid that. Rather than using third party domains I'd recommend third-party open source code to run her slideshow from within her own domain.

And photoshop doesn't do a slideshow.

15. chansigril

ok, i've tried a couple of different things to try to force frontpage to create the file. i continue to get the same error, "server error: source couldn't send 'photogallery/photo27049/sldshow.js'". how would you go about forcing frontpage to create this file?

16. chansigril

any recommendations on where i might be able to gaffle some decent code to do this with? i tried using a prog called "web album generator" and then grabbed it's code and uploaded the photos and it just showed up as code in frontpage :mad:

17. JaJae

JaJae New Member

How many files are going into your slideshow?

A simple means of doing it would be to download a java script that randomizes images in a directory.

If you want to get involved things like Gallery 2.0 or such could do the trick at a much more involved level.

18. chansigril

well... seven presentations in total, with the number of images ranging from 12 to ~50 per present. definitely cannot randomize images as one of the albums is a wedding. i'll look up gallery 2.0 :x:

thanks for your help, hopefully i can get this working.

19. tyrionlannister

tyrionlannister New Member

Photoshop can create a slideshow, at least in 9.0 (CS2). You just have to change it from the default style to the "Horizontal Slideshow" style.

As for open source software that I've used.. Coppermine photo gallery is excellent (though maybe a bit of overkill for your needs). You can even let your friends build their own photos on your site if you want to. If you have a CPanel web host with Fantastico on it then it's a snap to install, otherwise it might be more of a hassle for you than it's worth.

You might also want to check out Gallery, though I haven't used it yet.

20. JaJae

JaJae New Member

I stand corrected on photoshop.

I've used coppermine. Good software. Kinda bloated, but easily customizable.