Web Forum Hosting..

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Stev, May 1, 2007.

1. Stev

Stev Active Member

I have over 2mb upload speed, and 2 servers. I'm thinking of offering hosting to a couple mid to low traffic websites & forums. Mine don’t get traffic at all, but my connection and servers are snappy and if I don’t get use out of them i just as well downgrade my connection and sell the servers.

1. What kind of stipulations should I establish if i choose to host web forums? Should I impose bandwidth restrictions? Because its not like I can penalize a site if they are getting a ton of usage and are using up most of the bandwidth.. And if that is the case, it’s not fair to tell other website admin's that they need a new host because I am choosing another user.

2. Is it fair to put a generic google ad on the site as a payment? Nothing gaudy, but just something that is there that will match the décor of the site to give a little something back.

3. How many web forums should i get to start out?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

1) Absolutely you can and should restrict bandwidth.

2) No that is not a good idea.

3) None. You should not do this.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

If you're going to provide hosting services, you also need to provide redundancy, failover, 24/7 maintenance in case of a critical failure (i.e. the machines are inoperable), and daily backups in case of catastrophic failure (i.e. the machines are unrecoverable).

There's a reason why people charge a tidy sum for web hosting. There's a lot more to it than you think.

4. Stev

Stev Active Member

its all already being done.

and its not like i will be running an enterprise level service either way, just something that i am doing in my spare time.

5. Create

Create :free at last:

Is the web interface for clients to manage their own content implemented?

6. Holiday

Holiday Switching to Runlevel 0

true.dat

ive been hosting websites for about 4 years now and there is more than you think to it. Blink three times and you have a security issue that needs to be taken care of, upgrades that need to be done, bugs that need fixing, etc etc etc

7. tyrionlannister

tyrionlannister New Member

Forums don't convert well with google ads, from what I've read. Also, if your users get into a generous spree and start clicking your ads just for the sake of clicking them then you can have your Adsense account banned.

8. Stev

Stev Active Member

i had that happen on a site i was hosting. I would have gotten paid out 200 bucks too. Convenient timing it seemed to me, being it was right before the payout time and they said i was screwing the system with no proof to back it up.

9. copiertalk

copiertalk Secure Our Borders! OT Supporter

Depending on the software you will have to put up with attacks. forum scripts tend to attract script kiddies in mass numbers.

Forum software tends to be database intensive and hog alot more database resources than actual bandwidth.