Web Developer Crew Sign In v.php development process

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Hydrogen, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Hydrogen

Hydrogen building block

I don't know where to start with php.

I built my company's website from the ground up with design and accessibility taken in account. (xhtml, css)

I need to add some dynamic data sections for corporate news and monthy publications but i have no idea where to start. Even with resources online and references all I find are php script sites and tutorials that explain methodology.

I am going to think out loud. I guess I need to start with a SQL database of employees that can post news articles. I would need a html login, which will communicate with the database. Then an html form where the news can be entered, then a script that can take that news and post it to the news page. Doesn't sound too hard.

Can anyone elaborate, offer any assistance, or any general discussions with the technologies involved (AJAX, JSP) Or maybe there is a better way to post dynamic data (RSS, Blogs, etc.) that I should use?

Thanks

2. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

you're gonna do all that from scratch? why dont u just use an open source content management system?

3. Who will be posting the news articles? Another web dev or employees? If it's another web dev, why not just go the XML route for the news postings? The web dev doesn't need a login/upload form to post the news.

4. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

It depends on what technology you want to use and/or have access to. You can do what you want with Java or PHP and prolly many other technologies. I've done similar things that you are describing in my University classes and I've done them with PHP and Java. Personally, I like Java more and one reason is because we're using the free NetBeans IDE. Java and PHP are both free technologies. If you use ASP.NET, you'll have to pay for the MS Licenses and I guess there's some benefit but I haven't use that stuff yet.

This is the book we are using for our Web Server Programming class and I really like it but it doesn't really talk about the NetBeans IDE...for that you'll have to search the NetBeans website or google it.
    http://www.amazon.com/Core-Servlets-JavaServer-Pages-Vol/dp/0130092290/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/102-6944009-9693715?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1177576425&sr=8-2
    That book will teach you the difference between JSPs, servlets, JavaBeans but also gives insight into how to bring it all together. It also contains many chapter on connecting to DBs and specifically addresses mySQL, Oracle and MSAccess.

To learn PHP, well there's tons of free resources available...google is your friend.

Ajax is client side stuff and doesn't really seem to apply to what you want to do.

5. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

You can get news scripts..

6. purebad

purebad I don't need your approval, right?

I'm going to agree with this suggestion. Also if you are working alone, developing your own in house CMS will be quite tedious, drawn out, and mind numbing...

7. Hydrogen

Hydrogen building block

Exactly what I need,
    http://www.cmsreview.com/OpenSource/directory.html

but there are 100s to choose from.

Employees whom will not have access to any back end work, so there has a be a web based front end, and it has to be clean.

8. Hydrogen

Hydrogen building block

I am going to use the technologies I have available, I have to find out if my web host as mysql and if it runs with apache or IIS or whatever. I was in fact impressed with the google results for "open source content management system for dynamic web development".

Here is an interesting article comparing 3 open source CMS's

http://www.idealware.org/articles/joomla_drupal_plone.php