web designers: animated gifs vs. flash

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cedric, Jun 2, 2005.

1. cedric

cedric I don't have a contract

What is your guys stance on using an animated gif (such as the one on the OT splash page) vs. using flash for navigation purposes? What makes one better than the other? :hs:

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

well, I hate flash... I also hate animated gifs. There is really little reason for annoying "animation".

What are you trying to do?

3. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

I really dislike animated things and flashes also, unless they are really well done.

For small little things I prefere gifs, everyone has support for them, and im pretty sure they aren't as processer intense has flash. However, for large almost video esq files flash is going to be a lot smaller in size.

Like jollyogre said, it really depends on what its for.

4. pwd

pwd Guest

Generally it would be better to use css and xhtml for designing site navigation. Drop down menus are good if the site has a lot of content. These can be adapted from open source examples online, and are generally done in DHTML. I would recommend the 'sons of suckerfish' ones, since they are very lightweight, and accessible, which is unusal for such a component. Google if you want to check them out.
    Flash or animated navigation would only be appropriate for a very showy site--where a type of 'image' was being sold.

5. cedric

cedric I don't have a contract

I see you guys tend to be purists when it comes to animation :hsd: . I agree as well, but as pwd said, there are places where it's necessary. I work for a design company, and there are certain projects where they want sites done in flash. I just saw the animated gif on the OT splash page and wanted to get some ideas on what's preferred.

I use xhtml and css almost exclusively for my stuff, just because I've been taught to despise tables. I also prefer my designs to be as clean as possible, so I've come to see Flash as excessive in most cases. However in my line of work, I'm learning that it's sometimes a necessary evil. :hs:

Thanks for the input guys. You've been helpful :)

6. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

i use flash from time to time

my feeling is that if you use action scripting properly flash can be pretty powerful...but if you are just animating with it...don't

7. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

I wouldn't use a *.gif unless absolutely necessary. The only time I have ever created an animated *.gif for myself was to create a button that links to an outside source.

If you want to animate, I wouldn't do it unless it's for a site where animation would be a strongpoint, in which case would be flash. Don't create a full flash site. I hate full flash sites. But, some flash can be used to create a great effect.