Web Designer Gurus enter!!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by UsualSuspect, Nov 20, 2003.

1. UsualSuspect

UsualSuspect Sic Semper Tyrannis

I am designing a site for a local soccer team and they want to be able to accept credit card payments for tournament entry fees. What would be the best way to do this? E-Commerce site from the ISP? 3rd Party software?

Thank you for any ideas. :wavey:

2. Divine Vengeance

Divine Vengeance New Member

You'd need 3rd party software and bank approval (unless I'm mistaken).

3. RoblesGT

RoblesGT [Track Days: 19 ][Crashes: 1] [SuMo Days: 1 ][Cras OT Supporter

4. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

For what you're doing, PayPal might be a good fit. If you're into coding, I'd recommend doing PayPal IPN (Instant Payment Notification).

If you still want to do credit cards, then you'll need:

- server side scripting and either an off the shelf shopping cart or you build your own
    - SSL
    - merchant account provided by your bank / credit card processor
    - payment gateway (the interface between your site and the bank) -> you'll also need to interface with the gateway which means finding something pre-built that works with the gateway or you build something to work with the gateway.
    - Profit!

Thats about it in a nutshell. Do a search on my name and credit card processing or something like that and you might find some more explained info.

Another option is to go with a 3rd party site to handle the check out page and payments. Trick is they'll pretty much rape you on price compared to the other 2 alternatives mentioned.

Regarding PayPal - if you're going to be doing about 30 transactions or less a month, then PayPal will be worth it. I've found if you're doing more than 30 transactions, then the fees will eat you alive and it would be worth it to go to a bank and do official credit card processing.

5. UsualSuspect

UsualSuspect Sic Semper Tyrannis

Thank you all for your help. I am pushing the PayPal angle. I should have thought of that :uh:

6. Juggernaut

Juggernaut Guest

paypal angle = 3% fee for them

Just design your own through .asp If you dont know how, i am sure someone can help you out, i learned .asp in a week! :)

7. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

:confused:

Lets take a look at the math...

PayPal = 3% transaction fee plus almost 30 cents a transaction. High? Yes.

Alternative: Authentic flavored CC processing

Ok.

Usually $25 flat fee per month
    $200-$400+ per year for SSL
    $150-$350+ gateway setup fee (may be optional depending on gateway)
    Apply for Internet merchant account (requires KICK ASS credit or someone's house - especially if the company hasn't been in business for several years)
    Cost of charge backs - I've heard something like 15% of the charge back is withheld
    1.5-2.5% per transaction fee
    * These are round numbers and your mileage may vary

As I said, if its a low volume site, PayPal isn't a bad way to get started. When it picks up, switch to a credit card processor. I'd be curious to what your alternatives were to this.

And if I may say: I don't care how talented you are. Whipping up a shopping cart with full credit processing after just 1 week of learning a language is borderline silly. Maybe easy, sure. But you've got to have some clue about CC processing and how to validate cards, web/form/server security, and database design and security (if you're going to be doing online processing, it might be handy to have one in use). I'm not saying it can't be done, but I'd predict the average non-web app developer will not be able to take this project on with just 1 week of code training - even if it was for 40 hours of that week. If you're going to do CC handling, you've got to know the coding language intimately so you know how to handle the quirks BEFORE they happen.

I'd also argue ASP. ASP is not the easiest. Look at the number of support functions for string handling you have available. Then take a look at the date functions (or date class). Its rather limited if you look from both VBScript and JScript (and I'd predict .NET follows Java so there's a few more tools, but even Java is very limited in this respect). If you're stuck on NT/W2k, then definitely go ASP. But if you still have a choice, check out PHP as an alternative.