web design

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Gandi1979, Nov 14, 2004.

1. Gandi1979

Gandi1979 New Member

moved this from the unemployment office....

anyone do this for a living? how'd ya get started?

2. percent

percent deluded

yes and no, i work as a web designer - but i am going to school and definitly dont want to do it for a living.

i got started by doing a work study with a company through high school sophmore year (i had no experience :hs: ). i worked for 2 days/wk one semester with no pay, but go a credit. That summer they hired me and i have been worknig there full time summer/part time winter for 4 years.

Its a small company, like 15 people or something (5 do web dev directly)

3. Gandi1979

Gandi1979 New Member

what do you make? what type of skills do you have?

4. Javi

Javi New Member

I do it for a living. Started on the side in 98-99, doing simple pages for gaming community pages. It then expanded to a very large community site, and remains that way towards the present.

In 1999, I started to work at an ISP that happened to host websites. As tech support, I was able to dabble a bit further into webpage land..

It was opportunities like above that allowed me to get the job I have today. Been at it for over 1 1/2 years. I plan to do this for a long time; business is lucrative.

5. percent

percent deluded

My rate is $14 an hour, but that is a not a perfect representation. I'll work for like 32 hours in two weeks and get a paycheck for 40 or 45 hours.

I am also due up for a raise real soon. Proley $1 or $2 dollers per hour.

I do a lot of web page construction (html, asp, asp.net, javascript) and graphic design. I do some VB.net destop applications and other types of programming, but i try to avoid those projects because i dont like doing them.

Also, i am not certified. Because i am leaving the job, i dont really want to take the time to become microsoft certified. Everyone who has started there and later got certified has gotten a descent sized raise.

6. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

I started a decade ago when I was in High School. I was religiously into it, I would even stay home just to develop web pages. At the time, I used to develop websites for people online for their gaming websites or making layouts for friends for whatever they needed. After about a year, I became moderately good at web development, including photoshop and JavaScript. I got my first job through my sister, who had a friend which had his own web development company. I was young, and stupid at the time, and I guess I had some misunderstanding with the jobs he assigned me. I developed around six web pages for him and I didn't see a drop of money. My mother spoke with him and he told her that he was saving it for my 'college tuition'. Later on, I wrote a script for him, and he asked me to change it. Because of the hours I spent on it, I didn't do it. He told me to mail him back the 300mb hard drive he let me borrowed for web development purposes. I didn't send it back because he never payed me, and I never seen a cent of the so-called "college tuition". My mother didn't care enough to attempt to get it either. So, I forgot about it.

During high school, I took a college course on web development. My professor liked my work and beleived I could make some decent money off of it. She helped out through advertising. I didn't get many jobs, but I got a couple, they didn't pay much--but it was experience.

The real jobs started when I started attending college 3 years ago. I met a friend at the college I was attending and I made him a couple webpages (Free of charge). He knew a lot of people who had needs for web development, and he hooked me up through them. At that time was when I started doing server-side scripting, learning Perl, and later on PHP.

I have attempted to start my own web/software development firm. It is kind of already established, considering the projects I've done in the past, but there is no centeralized "business" with it yet. I have started the website for it, but because of senior projects in school, I am forced to stop production until I graduate.

I'll be finished with college in March. :wiggle:

I don't plan on doing web development for a living, maybe just something on the side for some extra income. Right now, my main goal is aiming towards Database Administrator. I like Databases. I plan to hit up a few certifications and get some DBA experience going. If not DBA, I'll try to end up as a Network Administrator, or further my experience as a Sys. Admin, which is what I'm doing now. Previously, my goal was being a programmer, who knows... I just might stick with that. I'm only taking other jobs in consideration because of the problems the software industry is going through right now.

:wavey: