Web Design Question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by sablehonda, May 1, 2003.

1. sablehonda

sablehonda New Member

A form originally available in paper only has been translated to PDF and HTML so it can be printed off anywhere.

The goal is to be able to fill out the form online and print it. The only method I know to do this is Perl: you would take the input parameters from one page and output the form with them in there. It is not very eloquent and only works for the HTML version (not PDF).

Any suggestions on how to accomplish this?

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Simple (if you know some perl)... You just have to pull the stuff out of the form (parse it) and then print it out. I can do it for you if you want, but I won't have time till next week probably.

Edit: Not so much my thing, but from what I've seen it might might actually be easier in PHP.

3. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

PDF does have some tricks available where you create the PDF and the form fields within and users can type right from within Acrobat. I've seen it done a few times, but probably requires some expensive Adobe product to make it happen. In theory though, the output should be dead on to what the form looks like.

I don't know if this will fit your needs, but the user can fill out the form and then hit print (without submitting) and it should print out the HTML and the data they entered. This method isn't all that glamourous and the output may not be up to par. Test it out and see if it will work for you...

The next approach would be to submit the form to a script (perl, PHP, etc) and have the script do a little bit of processing to place the data in your HTML template (I'm assuming thats what you have already). PHP would probably be a hint easier to use, but if you already know Perl and are comfy with it, its probably worth the additional time to figure out how to persuade Perl to read the header data to retrieve the form data, then dump it. (you should be able to swipe some nifty code off the net to make this happen).

4. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Yea, I've seen lots of sites that have dynamic PDF creation... Again, I believe it's a PHP thing.