web design question: CSS vs. graphics

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cedric, Feb 18, 2005.

1. cedric

cedric I don't have a contract

I've been having some issues with borders in CSS. Everything works fine in the browsers I'm testing with: Windows IE, Firefox IE, Firefox Mac, and Safari. Everything so far so good. However, when I test in IE Mac, the stupid browser likes to place the borders OVER the images and backgrounds rather than around them like the other browsers do. What results is that things become misaligned and the images and backgrounds are left with gaps on the bottom and right side showing the background.

Now here's my question. Should I just integrate the borders into the backgrounds and images themselves instead of trying to use CSS to place them? Or is this looked down upon and considered bad design? It'd solve my problem but for some reason it just doesn't seem as clean to me and it may restrict some things later on. Opinions?

2. WERUreo

WERUreo Imua!

You talking about putting borders around pictures? If so, I'd say just put the borders around the graphics. I don't think there is any advantage to using CSS for this, as it is purely cosmetic, if I'm understanding you correctly.

3. SEPHROTH64

SEPHROTH64 Guest

i agree, if you already have the images there then put the borders on them if its easier, css helps save bandwidth if you want to replace the images completely, but if theyr there already just go for it

4. Happy Life

Happy Life Guest

U shoulda not use IE Mac, I personnaly dont know anyone who use this crazy browser... it hasnt been updated since years...
    brand news mac sold are shipped with safari...

5. cedric

cedric I don't have a contract

I'm not necessarily talking about pictures. I have a top banner graphic that spans the entire width of the main part of the site. the border surrounds the entire graphic and the rest of the site. that's what's getting messed up by IE. I might just say screw IE mac already, and work on making it compliant with the rest of the browsers. It works fine on everything else.

6. Juvenall

Juvenall What Would Juvie Do?

Really, as far as all of that goes, you're dealing with a very tiny, tiny fraction of a fraction of the overall web population that's going to be seeing that. I really wouldn't worry about anything with IE Mac..

If it works in Safari, you're good to go.

7. WERUreo

WERUreo Imua!

Sounds like a good plan. No matter what you do, there's always gonna be some browser that renders your code differently. If most of your audience uses a browser that renders your page properly, then that's great. That's more than most web page designers can say about their pages...