A&P web design for idiots

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by jared_IRL, Jul 2, 2008.

1. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Someone learn me on an idiot proof web site design option.

I do want something in flash, but without actually learning flash, and with the ability to quickly add and change things as I get deeper into the website.

One thing I've come across, is 'Show It.' It's the David Jay software.

Seems easy enough... Drawbacks?

I've shot a couple weddings and am getting more and more people asking purchasing my landscapes, fine art and wedding services, but I don't have any sort of online presence to show them, and it's getting pretty embarrassing.

So help a kid out!

:bowdown:

2. Climbing Cracker

Climbing Cracker I am the Devil. And I am here to do the Devil's w

in for this. i'm currently using iWeb, just for something quick & dirty.

3. DeepRun™

DeepRun™ Guest

iWeb works best for me. The limitations of the templates make you try and be creative around them.

4. tetsuo

tetsuo And shepherds we shall be...

as a web developer, fuck flash! i hate that shit.

only cause i never learned to do anything in it :o i deal more with perl and php for scripting and css and ajax for layout/interaction

5. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

ok, I can respect that.

What about just generic drag and drop web site design software?

If you check out the 'showit Sites' area:

http://sites.showitfast.com/app/install.html

It appears to be a program that allows you to visually design a site however you want without having to know ANYTHING about web design.

Perfect for me.

Except that it hosts the website for you, and charges you for that. I have my own host and all that already, just need a way to build the site that gives me complete control without having to start taking classes in web design...

6. tetsuo

the only drag and drop software i've ever actually used is dreamweaver, and that was back when it was macromedia not adobe. it worked great and could use css/php so i could write scripts in it as well.

that showit seems pretty nice, i'd like to see some of the actual pages output. the biggest compliant i've had with any drag and drop editor is that they are very wasteful in terms of non optimized html. in these days of broadband being everywhere, its not as big of a deal, but i've been working on sites since the old dialup days and old habits die hard. :o

personally, i use notepad/joe/photoshop for my web designing and layouts. photoshop to make a mock up of what i want it to look like and then code it all by hand in notepad/joe depending if i'm on my local windows box or ssh'd into a linux box. :dunno:

7. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

If this is mainly for a photo gallery, have you checked out the gallery templates that are part of Photoshop and Lightroom?

Even Google's Picassa has a BUNCH of free gallery templates available on the web so that it can export selected photos into a gallery on your site.

Save the folder structure that it exports, upload to your site and you're done.

I realize this isn't a full "web design" option, but it is enough to get your pictures up on the web without too much hassle.

8. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

$40/month when it's out of beta. No thanks.

Of course that is pretty representative of what you'll find with flash site builders, either high monthly cost or expensive one time fees. Are you running a Mac or a PC? If you're using a Mac, iWeb is retarded easy to use, I've been dicking around with it for the past couple of weeks because I wanted something easier to use than Dreamweaver for a personal site. It does a fairly nice job with image galleries too.

One thing I'd say is stay away from flash websites. EVERYONE is using them and it's getting seriously played out. They are slow, inflexible, have shit linking and generally suck to maintain because you're locked into some proprietary editing front end. Not to mention the problems with linking and text making your site appear almost contentless to a search engine which adversely impacts your search rankings.

If you want something more powerful than iWeb and more open than a flash builder, just get Dreamweaver and buy a web template. DW really isn't that hard to use at all.

:dunno:

9. Jonny Chimpo

Good suggestion.

And then you can build a shell for the remaining web content around that gallery with whatever web app you want.

10. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Thanks man. Much appreciated.

Yeah, the $40 a month is ridiculious. Didn't see that when I posted, but I already have a host and all that, so thats definitely out.

I guess, i'm looking for something similar, but without the forced hosting.

I already have dreamweaver CS3, but have no clue what i'm doing with it. I've just about competely ruined the templates i've been playing with.

Recommendations on template places?

Oh, and even though i've eliminated the showit software from contention, Jasmine Star's site was created with it. Pretty slick IMO.

http://jasmine-star.com/

11. tetsuo

i saw something this morning about the search engine part. google and adobe are working together to make flash more "searchable," but god only knows how well that will work or when that will be available.

12. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Thanks. I may have to start with this.

But I am looking for a full on web design fairly shortly. The gallery templates may be a quick fix to get people the ability to see my work in the immediete short term, but I'm to the point where I need some sort of presence.

But I do appreciate the idea.

13. tetsuo

great photographer with, in my opinion, a shitty site/host. the flash took a good 20 seconds to start that stupid movie with no "skip intro" button and another movie (albeit much shorter) loads when you load each section. it shouldn't take 20 seconds for your home page to load, and i'm on a MUCH faster connection here at work than i would be at home. load time and playing movies/music without any warning are my 2 biggest pet peeves when i'm web surfing, and flash is notorious for both. which is why i have the flashblock extension installed with firefox. :o

14. tetsuo

if you really want a custom template (without any flash :o ), you can shoot me a pm. i've done a couple of photographers websites as freelance work, and am in the middle of redesigning one now. :o

15. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Hmm. Thats weird. It loaded for me instantly. But I do have a DS3 here at work, so I guess I shouldn't use this connection as a measuring stick..

Good to know it was shitty on your end, making it even worse for normal people...

Oh, and PM sent!

16. tetsuo

i'm on a ds3 here too :dunno:

17. Jonny Chimpo

I was hitting the site at the same time you were. Two users apparently brought it to it's knees. :mamoru:

I'm with you on the forced movie and music BS. I hate that crap. Also add to that splash pages, poorly organized content requiring 87 clicks to get to what I'm looking for, 800x600 layouts when I have 1600x1440 monitors ( I REALLY hate that one) and of course slow content loads.

One thing I've found that a lot of photographers are doing is leading with an "about me" page or bio. I don't get that. If you're a photographer, lead with the photography. If the images are good enough, people stick around to learn about you. Jasmine Star made that mistake with that silly video and you have to click through to find the images. Her bounce rate off the home page must be huge.

18. tetsuo

:werd:
    i can't stand splash pages, and the thing that pisses me off the most is a page that resizes or moves my browser window. and if its a splash page that opens another page at a different size/location on my desktop, i close it and won't even look at the site. :o

i code everything i've worked on recently for 1024x768 minimum. i'm hesitant to go too much higher than that for another year, maybe two. all of the data i've seen says that 1024 is the most common resolution, but the higher resolutions/widescreens are gaining popularity fast.

19. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

This is why I ask this stuff here. Common sense > *

20. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

bigger is better. That's why I went with bludomain. Very easy to set up.

www.jcolman.com

21. Jonny Chimpo

OH. MY. GOD. I can't believe I forgot to mention forced window resizing, or turning off tool bars, or popups. Particularly forced resizing. That crap make me want to crawl through the wires and choke a bitch. Popups are just dumb to use with all the popup blockers available now.

I had this huge argument a year or so ago with a guy that insisted that every site should be coded for 800px width forever because there will always be people out there with lower resolution screens. Naturally I told him he was a moron and his sister was ugly. :o

22. Jonny Chimpo

entry splash FTL, brah. :hs:

23. tetsuo

and a pop up that resizes the window and takes away the toolbars :o

24. Jonny Chimpo

I didn't get that far. :o

25. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

it's one click out of your life.