WEB web design crew:

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by themolsen, Jul 10, 2008.

1. themolsen

themolsen New Member

http://www.freshministries.org

Possible redesign situation for this organization to incorporate more multimedia and news/blogging. I have a bunch of (IMO) awesome ideas for it, but I am curious as to what OT would change (or keep) about this site if you were to redesign it.

Fonts? Colors? Layouts? Navigation? Features? What do you like and/or dislike?

There are a lot of talented folks here, just looking to pick your brains. :x:

Thanks!

2. YourMomOnRyeBun

YourMomOnRyeBun New Member

Overall that just looks too much like a template, fresh out of the box. But maybe that is just me.

Also...you have to read to much before you can even tell when this place does. Do more teasing with the text...I the viewer cares, they can click for more info. Same with the pics...downsize and use thumbnails?

3. themolsen

themolsen New Member

anyone else?

4. bawlinmo

bawlinmo Neighborhood Graphic Designer

I concur. Also color scheme is very 1990s. If you want to attract viewers designwise, you need a new color scheme, and a whole new theme would be great. Change white background to a light gray or light blue. Needs a more web 2.0 look.

5. themolsen

themolsen New Member

All very true observations!

Content wise, I think it needs a lot more attention to current events within the organization. A news blog, maybe a recent events module/header, event photo galleries & videos.

It definitely needs a more prominent calendar

It needs a better way to recruit volunteers/mentors/supporters

Plus more interaction with the community would be good...maybe a message board or some other way for visitors to interact.

etc, etc

6. itchypony

itchypony New Member

There are too many different fonts on this page -- cut back to 2 or 3 at the most.

7. themolsen

themolsen New Member

definitely. and as much as I like Georgia as a body type, it looks bad at the size they're using

8. drumbandit

drumbandit New Member

I'd go with a more readable font, other than that it looks good. People place too much emphasis on design rather than content.

9. intrktevo

intrktevo New Member

i think too much vertical space is lost with the seperate rows for the header/logo and the the row of pictures.

i'd try to integrate the two, so you can get more content above the fold.

10. themolsen

themolsen New Member

ehhhh... I think design is very important, but of course content is also. one thing I learned from my publication designing was that neither matters if the other is weak. Good design + good content = winrar

You can have a badass looking web site and people will say, "hey! neat!" but without content, they'll never come back

11. themolsen

themolsen New Member

YES this bothers me so much. the navigational links could have been easily integrated with the header, and the row of pictures should be some sort of CONTENT like a flash header with a rotation of pictures/information of recent or upcoming events

12. drumbandit

drumbandit New Member

I didn't say that design wasn't important, I said people place too much emphasis on it. "Looking too much like a template" isn't a flaw at all.

13. themolsen

themolsen New Member

right right, I get you. I was mostly agreeing with you...that people worry about the design too much then they're left with a crappy site because the content isn't worked out.

looking like a template isn't a *flaw*, but I do like me a nice slick layout :p