Web Browsing on either the Treo 650 or the 600

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 11070, Feb 19, 2005.

1. 11070

11070 OT Supporter

Is it any better/faster than what I am getting now on my SideKick 2? Just seems that what I am getting now with my SK2 could be much better/faster. Anyone have any experience with both phones?

2. qtipboy

qtipboy They taste like burning!

The Treo 650, if you are talking about the GSM version has EDGE, which is much faster than GPRS on the Treo 600 and Sidekick 2. The Treo 650 is sweet, I'd gladly admit, is much better than my SX66 internet-wise when it comes to speed.

3. 11070

11070 OT Supporter

well, I'm either going to have to find an unlocked one, or wait for Tmo to release it.

4. blown11

blown11 New Member

How fast is EDGE? Like what claimed speed does it have? I ask this because I am about to pick up a SX66 and wanted to know how bad I am missing out.

5. qtipboy

To put it in comparison, think of GPRS as an ok 56k provider, sometimes it's fast, sometimes it's slow, depending on signal strength. EDGE can be like... hmm lets say a low DSL connection, ranging from 80 to 112'ish kbps. But don't get me wrong, I have a SX66 and let the webpages load all the way and it's not bad at all, just a little wait here and there, but it's not to the point where it is unbearable, but a cool thing is that it comes with Wi-Fi. The Treo 650 seems to fly though with EDGE.

There's a new technology that is slowly making its way into handsets called UMTS/WCDMA (actually AT&T had a couple of these handsets a while ago) that are capable of nearly 9mbps! Though in real life it's probably closer cable (around 3'ish or so).

But yeah, you cellphone employees correct me on any kind of information I messed up. I quit Cingular a while ago and some of my information might be butchered. Sigh, concentrating on school now :(

6. blown11

blown11 New Member

I actually work at cingular at a corp store, just started 2wks ago so I am still learning this. So if you say edge is 80-112kbps thats only double gprs which is 56kbps correct?

7. qtipboy

Pretty much so, yes.

Ah yes and congrats on the job, I hope the pay is good for you as it was for me. I miss my money already :(

8. blown11

blown11 New Member

Heh, not bad, but not great either, they have cut the comission stuctrue 4 times in the last year from what I understand.

9. 11070

11070 OT Supporter

Well, seeing as that I am with Tmo, I'll wait for them to phase out the 600 that they offer. I've read some people having trouble getting unlocked (factory) ones to access the web. Supposedly, they can get email and such, but no browsing. This is all good info. I'll stick with my SK2 for the time being and look forward to what they release here soon (I hope! ) ..