Web Browser Problem- Image distortion

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by kevlar8, Apr 24, 2005.

1. kevlar8

kevlar8 Do or do not, there is no try.

Here is a weird problem. Whether I use IE or Firefox, images bigger than, say a smilie, are all fuzzy and distorted. This includes images on Yahoo's start page and the GOOGLE on googles start page. Also, the animated smilies on OT don't move at all. Any ideas?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

what is your internet connection and ISP? Did you install any software from your carrier?

This is a common trick by wireless carriers, where they compress images to make the connection "appear" faster. For example, Verizon wireless gets about 64 kbps of REAL bandwidth. However, with image compression, they make it "seem" like faster.

3. kevlar8

Well I use Earthlink Dial-up and I did have to install their software but this problem is recent and I don't think anyone else in the house played with it recently.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

sounds like something earthlink would do.

BTW, the "topspeed" and other web-accelerator crap that they use does what I mentioned. I believe earthlink calls it "web-accelerator"... So I'd look at that as being the likey culprit.

5. kevlar8

Dude. You are awesome. Checked the ISP homepage and they were using a compression server. Just changed the settings and it is back to normal. Thank you.