Web-based remote-desktop support solution

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by illmatix, May 19, 2004.

1. illmatix

illmatix Diamond Studded Member OT Supporter

Hi guys, I was hoping that maybe you could help me out. I'm responsible for (Among a vast number of other things) supporting a number of mobile users with the computer literacy of a tangerine. For obvious security reasons, I'm hesitant in sending them out with listening remote desktop or VNC ports on their machines, and they'd be useless from my perspective when they get behind any NAT device anyway. What I'd like to set up is some kind of a support website (WebEX?) that I can just put a shortcut to on their desktop where they can go so I can take control of their machines. It seems like the most secure and feasible solution given the situation... but I've never deployed anything like that. I know Remote Desktop has a Remote Assistance function that can be integrated with Email or Messenger, but I still think that it's too much for them. So, anything you guys recommend?

2. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

vnc (real or tight) both support web interfaces through java.

3. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

GoToMyPC has a new product (GoToAssist) that does this, like WebEx. It's a browser downloaded component, and it can traverse firewalls. My company uses it now with our support customers. Haven't used it myself yet though.

http://www.gotoassist.com/

4. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

Microsoft RDP can be setup for use through the web... have to download a component of course.

5. jdub12

jdub12 New Member

for web based remote assistance or remote administration, nothing is simpler than web remote desktop connection for windows xp. download the file from microsoft, install iis and your pretty much at the controls from wherever you can find a computer with a web browser.

6. Stev

Stev Active Member

tight VNC is what we use here at work, its pretty slick from what ive used it for.