GUN Weapons cache stuns agents

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Jan 21, 2009.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Weapons cache stuns agents
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2008651920_weapons21m0.html
    A 65-year-old Spokane man has been ordered held in custody on federal charges of illegally possessing automatic weapons and illegally storing explosives in a Bellevue commercial storage shed while agents investigate how he came to possess a huge military-grade arsenal that included grenade launchers, machine guns and plastic explosives.

A 65-year-old Spokane man has been ordered held in custody on federal charges of illegally possessing automatic weapons and illegally storing explosives in a Bellevue commercial storage shed while agents investigate how he came to possess a huge military-grade arsenal that included grenade launchers, machine guns and plastic explosives.

Ronald Struve, heavyset and bearded, appeared in Seattle before U.S. Magistrate Judge Mary Alice Theiler on Tuesday after being extradited from Spokane, where he was arrested Jan. 7 during a raid by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF).

In four searches in Bellevue and Spokane, agents seized 37 machine guns, 12 silencers, two grenade launchers, more than 60 high-explosive grenades, several pounds of military-grade C-4 plastic explosives and thousands of rounds of ammunition.

Most of this material was stored in commercial sheds near businesses and homes, said Assistant U. S. Attorney Thomas Woods.

At a detention hearing set for Friday, Woods said he will present evidence that Struve possessed "anti-government material."

According to a complaint filed earlier this month, Struve "planned to use the items at some uncertain date in the future."

Two law-enforcement sources familiar with the case, but who spoke on condition of anonymity, used the term "Armageddon" to describe what Struve was apparently awaiting in stockpiling the weapons.

Agents have served four search warrants — three in Spokane and another in Lynnwood.

The Lynnwood shed was empty; however, agents recovered eight machine guns and additional grenade rounds in a search on a storage shed in Spokane.

The search of the Bellevue storage shed did not require a warrant because agents were given permission by a man who purchased the contents at an auction.

ATF Special Agent Heidi Wallace said much of the recovered ordnance was almost certainly stolen from the military because there is no other place to get it.

Woods said the investigation is continuing and that a grand-jury indictment is possible. So far, agents have questioned at least two others — including a man who rented the shed in Bellevue. No other arrests have been made.

Wallace, who was at Struve's court hearing Tuesday, said there was no evidence at this point that Struve was involved in domestic terrorism.

Struve first came to the ATF's attention in November, when the man who had purchased the shed's contents contacted the agency after he found it full of boxes of firearms, shells and other military-style hardware and wanted to know if the weapons were legal to keep.
    :ugh:

The bureau sent Wallace to the buyer's garage, where he had stacked the contents from the storage unit. What Wallace found were "many boxes, plastic bins and ammunition containers."

The first box contained what appeared to be several machine guns. Likewise, the second box contained military-type firearms. In the third box, Wallace found "two grenades and other possible explosives."

Other agents were called, and what they found was startling — and worrisome.

"In all my years, I've never seen this sort of firepower in one place," said ATF Special Agent Nick Starcevic, the Seattle office's senior operations officer.

One box contained 54 M406 high-explosive grenade rounds — 40-millimeter shells that can be launched from a shoulder-fired weapon to distances of 300 yards or more, according to military specification.

Its explosion creates a "kill radius" of up to 16 feet from the point of impact and injuries dozens of yards beyond that.

Agents also found several other anti-personnel grenades, including a Korean War-era "Chicom" stick grenade.

In another box, agents found six blocks of C-4 plastic explosives.

Agents counted 32 apparent machine guns, including M-14s, M-16s, and several "Sten guns," a mass-produced submachine gun known for its high rate of fire — upward of 500 rounds per minute.

They also found nine silencers and the parts for several others, as well as thousands of rounds of ammunition and various other military hardware.

"All of the military explosive items seized are considered contraband and cannot be possessed by anyone other than the military," Wallace wrote in a search warrant. "The majority of the items seized appeared to be stolen military explosive materials."

:eek3: Nice stash he had there. Wonder what his arfcom username was.

2. Hooch

Hooch New Member

Stickman

3. smartypants

smartypants New Member

I wouldn't have said shit.

4. Laurel

Laurel New Member

Um... isn't this an old thread?

5. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Couldn't find my original to update :o The original from a few weeks back gave no specifics other then 'machine guns and explosives'

6. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'd never use some of the stuff, chicom grenades from the 40's or early 50's? Wouldn't pull the pins on those with out a very long string. But I wouldn't call the ATF might try to pin it all on me.

7. Laurel

Laurel New Member

aha. The replies looked the same as the old one too. :mamoru:

8. Jurisbot Esq.

Jurisbot Esq. Don't blame me I voted for Ron Paul. OT Supporter

:bowrofl:

9. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

:eek:

10. smartypants

smartypants New Member

I'd bury it in my zombie bunker

11. smartypants

smartypants New Member

BTW, stens are wicked easy to make.
    An ironworker can make one.

12. Laurel

Laurel New Member

are you an iron worker?:eek3:

13. no7fish

no7fish New Member

I thought the sten had a particularly slow rate of fire actually...?

14. Finest

Finest OG #93

"Hello yes ATF? Yes, I'd like to report that I found ONE grenade in this storage place I just won in an auction. Yup, just ONE grenade. That is all that I found, nothing more nothing less. Can I keeps it? No? Okay, darnit. Can you come picks it up then? Ok, bai!"

15. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

That's when you buy a boat, put all the shit on the boat, park it 10 miles out to sea, and then make arrangements to sell everything you don't want to keep.

16. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

Wow, for once it's enough that I'd actually agree on calling it a "weapons cache"
    Typically when the media reports a "weapons cache" it's 2 hunting rifles, a shotgun and a hangun with maybe 250 rounds of ammo.

17. SickOfItAll

SickOfItAll The Bartender

Was Struve the buyer in this case, or the previous owner? Article doesn't seem to make that clear.

I don't know what I'd do if it were me. I'd be torn between burying that shit just to keep it, and turning in all of the obviously illegal shit in return for complete immunity from prosecution on the rest of it :o

18. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

Why can't I buy shit that I discover is loaded with guns, ammo and shit that explodes? :wtc:

19. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

20. ChipOnShoulder

ChipOnShoulder New Member

Someone watched too much Terminator 2.

I know of a local gun store owner who became a FFL/SOT mostly to get his hands on Class 3 weapons, and bypass WA state gun laws which prohibit machine guns and SBRs.

Funny thing, his gun store business took off, and now he has multiple caches around the state. Shipping containers on land he owns FTW

21. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

Shoulda kept his mouth shut.

22. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

What in the hell is the point of having multiple caches? Does he think if the Feds find one, they won't automatically search all his other properties?

23. Laurel

Laurel New Member

Maybe if someone breaks into one of them... :dunno:

24. smartypants

smartypants New Member

Nope, but I know an iron worker of no particular skill who's made some.

IIRC the whole idea of the Sten was that it could be made with minimal machinery in bombed out London.

25. Fire Sauce

Fire Sauce New Member

Sten = VERY WANT