GUN Weapon mounted light.. or no weapon mounted light.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Thunderbear, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Best (sort of..) of both worlds...

TDi Arms mount with SureFire G2.

[​IMG]

Picatinny belt clip, rotating, for TDi mount:

[​IMG]

Sexiest pistol ever, with a nightlight:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It sticks out quite a bit further than I like.. I bought it intending to use the DigiLight which is much smaller than the G2, but the diameter of the mount was wrong. The G2 fit perfectly. I figure when and or if I test fire it mounted, I'll remove the lamp and expect some flash burns on the light body. Worst case, I just use it on the Mossberg.

With the light on it feels like some blaster straight out of scifi.. and looks like it too.. :rofl:

2. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

:cool: I need some sort of light on my P99

3. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Maybe i'll tape my G2 to my P99. Maybe black electrical tape to be tactical? :rofl:

4. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

:werd: or OD duct tape

5. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

:naughty:

6. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

Would that mount hold a Surefire E1? That would probably fit a bit better than the G2.

7. striker754

striker754 Chillin

Light = easy to shoot at. weapon lights scream "shoot me in the face" hold it with your other hand

8. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Where'd you get that mout? I've been wanting one but the MX3 (think that's the right name) is like $180 at the gun store here. Not sure I want to spend that much but since I already have a G2, that mount would work well.

:rolleyes:

9. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

Everyone keeps talking about the M3X, is there some other reason than the extra 30 lumens it puts out for just getting the M3?

10. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

:dunno: just saw that one in the gun store one day so I took a look at it. Wanted to research it before I spent the money but now it looks like I'm going to do my CCW and then work on building an AR since I just purchased a stripped lower about an hour ago.

11. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

'grats on the lower.

12. Thunderbear

That mount came from Botach (boo.. hiss). They fucking suck. Believe everything you hear about them. It is a TDi Arms mount that you can get from www.pistol-gear.com for 19.99. Buy it from them. Botach is garbage.

13. Thunderbear

The reason I wanted to go this way was the ability to have the taclight securely retained on or near the weapon, while reloading. While it isn't as easy to mount as I would like it.. it provides a means for easily presentable light retention while reloading. Otherwise, the Rogers technique of light/handgun use is preferred.

14. Thunderbear

Without a pair of calipers.. I can't tell. Go on Botach's sorry ass website (actually, their website is the best part about them) and find an OD for an E1 and see where it falls for the TDi mount diameter range.

Edit: Now that I'm thinking about it.. probably not. The E1 is short, the mount may not grab enough on it.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2006
  15. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Thanks. Been on that webpage but didn't even notice the lights section before.

16. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

Thats pretty much why I was asking, the G2 seemed to be a bit large for it. I was thinking the E1 would be small enough to fit well, and also still work as a stand alone flashlight.

17. Thunderbear

Only time I've handled an E1 was in the gunshop, and it just seemed too tiny to fit in any type of ring or clamp mount like this. The OD seems like just a cunt hair above the 1/2" or so of the 123 itself, unlike the E2 or 6P or DigiLight.

18. johan

johan Active Member

I guess my issue with a weapon mounted light, as opposed to one simply held in my off hand, is that you need to sweep a target with your light AND weapon in order to identify it.

And in a darkened HD situation, I don't want to be sweeping the "noise" with my firearm only to find out it was my little daughter (hypothetically) sleepily stumbling back from the kitchen.

19. spyder007

spyder007 Bаnned bу Ѕuреr Μоdеrаtоrs

what if I am holding the dog lead in my other hand, but need my gun and light at the same time?

20. striker754

striker754 Chillin

I assume he is using this for home defense. I see no other reason than that for having a light on a gun except for coolness factor. I don't think he will be holding a dog.

Retained while reloading? If you are reloading in a home defense situation, I think you have bigger problems and need a rifle.

21. jimmybuffett

jimmybuffett New Member

looks ok, but def. not the sexiest pistol with a light

22. Thunderbear

Speaking of, how is your pooch?

The mount provides temporary retention.. it is small enough to still be able to use the G2 with the Rogers technique. Period. The other small advantage is only having to reach for one item when I hear that noise. I can immediately detach it, rather than knock it all over the nightstand.

23. 8BaLL

8BaLL New Member

Where did you get the belt clip?

edit: never mind i found it

Last edited: Jan 8, 2006
  24. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Just the coolness factor? :hsugh:

You might be on the phone with the police and a weapons mounted light will enable you to have a light sorce, your firearm, and be holding the phone with one hand.

Same goes for if you're having to operate a door or do something else with your non-dominant hand, you still have a light source on your firearm.

And in a high-stress situation you may fire your entire magazine and not hit anything or you did shoot an intruder and decide to put a fresh magazine in. Eitherway, both scenarios will allow you to keep your light easily available and not have to fumble around. And in your comment of "you have bigger problems and need a rifle" well, guess what, you'll most probably have a pistol more than a rifle in most situations.

In addition to the fact that that a weapons mounted light will let you maintain a solid two-handed grip on the weapon giving you better recoil control for follow up shots as well as better weapon retention. The "surefire/rogers" method I find awkward and would have to spend some time on the range practicing it to be able to retain the flashlight during firing.

In any situation, people waste money on stupid things and a weapons mounted light for home defense is fairly practical. Plus the ones I've looked at had a momentary switch so it's the same as a handheld flashlight and it's not like you're walking around with a glowing orb of light infront of you where they'd be able to watch where you're moving.