GUN Weapon light decisions

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by vwpilot, Mar 2, 2008.

1. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Has anyone used both the Streamlight TLR-1/2 and the Surefire X300/200?

I have recently just purchased a TLR-1 and an X300 to compare the two and keep the one I like better, but cant make a decision now.

The beam on the Surefire X300 is VERY noticeably better. Its more focused and brighter, but still has plenty of spread to see whats going on overall in a room.

The Streamlight is a little less bright and has a much larger spread on its beam with less of a focused point.

I like the Surefire beam a lot better. Mostly the focused brightness factor. When I shined it into my eyes via a mirror in the dark, the Surefire actually makes you quickly turn away, which would give you a big advantage with an aggressor, where as the Streamlight, while certainly not comfortable, didnt totally blind me or make me turn away like the Surefire did. This seems to be much less advantageous and possibly just give a criminal a target to aim for.

But that seems to be the only thing going for the Surfire. The controls on the Streamlight I find much easier to use, especially for instant on/off. The Surefire requires me to basically change my grip on the gun and take away most of the support hand to use the instant on feature because you need to push on the button on the back of the light and it requires quite a bit of pressure to get it on and keep it on for any period of time. The streamlight allows for a quick flick with the index finger of the support hand and is light and easy to use.

Also the mounting of the Streamlight seems much better. The Surefire required quite a bit of adjustment to get it to fit my Sig 226, and when it set up for that gun, it wont even slide on the rail of my Wilson CQB. The Streamlight has a quick, spring based attachment that allows for very quick on and off of multiple guns without any fit issues.

So I'm torn, I MUCH prefer the light output of the Surefire, but I like the function and mounting of the Streamlight.

Anyone that has used both, do you have any suggestions? Does the Surefire get a little easier to use with time, does the switch loosen up a bit with use and make it easier to push? Anyone found the Streamlights beam to be insufficient?

Anyone know of a way to put a Surfire LED and reflector into a Streamlight chassis? :rofl:

2. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Upgrade your TLR-1 to a Cree Q5 ftw

3. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

buy this for the x300

[​IMG]

4. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

I was considering the Insight m3x myself.

http://www.insightlights.com/products-m3x.htm

Don't know much about the pattern or spread of the ligth compared to what you have, but it is supposed to be brighter than both. However, if you can upgrade the TLR-1 to a Q5 that's rediculous and may sway my decision.

Link to Q5 upgrade?

5. SlowTA367

SlowTA367 New Member

x2

6. IceMurder

IceMurder Guest

i love my tlr-2 on my m&p but i have nothing to compare it to :o

7. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

I have the M3X... its nice, and light (weight), but nothing special.

8. johnson

johnson New Member

I have the Insight M3X also. I prefer incandescant over LED and polymer over metal on my aluminum framed gun. Ive seen rails get scratched up from taking it on and off. Also there's no need for screws or anything to mount the M3X.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2008
  9. sprite

sprite Active Member

I'll just chip in for the durability of the TLR-1. I have mine mounted with a tape switch on my 12ga 870 and it has never skipped a beat. It hasn't seen a ton of rounds as I mostly just function check that gun lately, but it has probably seen 50 rounds of 00# and a couple of boxes of 3" slugs so it has proven it can take a beating.