Weakened arm - How do I get back up to speed?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by ww_Crimson, Dec 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ww_Crimson

ww_Crimson New Member

I've never really been into health and fitness much but over the past year I've dabbled in and out of the gym. I've been trying to slowly learn my way around things and I've managed to make my diet significantly better. I still don't exercise regularly (waiting until my job streamlines out over the next few weeks so I know what kind of schedule I'll have) nor do I eat great, but I have managed to almost entirely cut soda out of my diet and fast food as well.

I've been dealing with a disease that has caused me to lose a tremendous amount of weight and I feel now that it is starting to get under control I am at a perfect point to start working out.

Tonight I went to the gym and I can't even lift 85 pounds on the bench press. I'm well aware that the bench isn't the way to measure strength, but I feel something is significantly wrong. I was able to do about 125 a few months ago and now I have no strength in my right arm what so ever.

What are some exercises I can do to increase the strength in my right arm to bring it up to speed with my left. I don't have any muscle tears or anything that I know of. There isn't pain when I lift I simply feel like there is no strength in that arm.

cliffs: No strength in right arm, what exercises can I do at home or in the gym that will bring it up to par with my other arm so I can start a regular workout.

2. Plan B

Plan B New Member

Eat/Sleep/Lift.

Follow Pur's routine, and just use the weight you can for now. Keep increasing it and be sure to EAT.

3. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

Use dumbells.

Use your weaker arm first, and then match the reps with your left arm.

That way they should even out over time.

By using a barbell your left arm will be doing more of the work, and thus will grow more.. making the difference even worse.

4. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

furious whacking

5. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

sean, you're sleep-typing again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.