Weak upper body gains

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by surrender, Oct 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. surrender

surrender [ON MEDS]

Hey guys, I have a question about upper body gains. First, my log is here:
    http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=3434454

As you can see, I've barely been making any progress with bench presses and standing military presses - 65 LB on the bench for over a week, and 55 on the military press for over a week as well. I've been making steady progress on my squats, DLs and rows, and my legs are noticeably bigger now, but my upper body is still weak and puny. Not only am I not making any gains, I actually still struggle pressing at those weights, and when I've bumped up to 70 on the bench or 60 on the military press, I could only go 1 or 2 reps before faltering.

Any advice? I'm tempted to start doing curls in the squat rack*

*this is a joke

2. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

tl;dr

edit: you fucker

Last edited: Oct 19, 2007
  3. jokka

jokka OT Supporter

1.eat more
    2.dont train like a wimp
    3.follow pur's routine
    4.eat some more food
    5.rest good
    6.?????
    7.profit

4. surrender

surrender [ON MEDS]

I accidentaly pressed "post quick reply" after only typing two words :o

5. Mr. Badass

Mr. Badass New Member

eat more. also, adding dips and chinups may help.

6. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

use modified bill star routine :)

Monday
    Squats-5x5(Do four progressively heavier sets of 5 with the 5th set being your 5RM.)
    Deadlifts-5x5(Do the same)
    Bench Press-5x5(Do the same)
    Incline DB Press-2x12-20

Wednesday
    Light Squats or Lunges-4x8 each leg
    Good Mornings-3x8-12
    Shoulder Press-5x5 or Dips-4xmax until you get 12 each time. then add weight.
    Pullups-4xmax

Friday
    Squats-warmup to a 3 reps with 5 more lbs than you used on Monday. On the following monday use this weight for your 5th set. - YOU ********TING SKEETRAGS, WARM UP TO A THREE REP MAX WITH 5lbs MORE THAN YOUR HEAVIEST SET ON MONDAY. THE NEXT MONDAY USE THAT WEIGHT ON YOUR LAST SET.
    Bent Over Row-5x5
    Incline Bench-5x5
    Tricep Extensions-2x12-20

7. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

You are training like a vagina and you have only been training for less than a month it looks like? Results don't come overnight. Use the above routine, BUST YOUR ASS if you aren't dreading the gym because it's brutal youredoingitwrong.jpg

Come back in 3 months

edit: careful with the goodmornings, I probably wouldn't do them but I'm still a noob and this routine is > me

8. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

do pullups and dips.

9. TZ

TZ Banned

I think you need to do more pressing exercises, more sets and reps too.

10. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

11. Ore

Ore OT Supporter

404 volume not found in your routine just do pur's if you want to get bigger muscles.

12. ~Drifter~

~Drifter~ New Member

If you are going to stick with Rippetoe, which it looks like your doing, you gotta include the warm up sets. Without them what you are doing is way to little volume and you will not grow. Preforming this routine properly while EATING will lead to great gains.

13. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

my bench and OH press have finally started going up since I started isolating triceps.

14. surrender

surrender [ON MEDS]

I don't care that I'm not getting bigger muscles (yet), it's only been 3 weeks and I'm not expecting any size gains. I was just worried about how I haven't been able to put up more weight on my exercises, when I was expecting to consistently ramp up. I do one warm-up set before each with lower weight, so I'll probably add another one or two for future workouts

and I'm eating 3200 calories a day, minimum, although I typically get around 3500

Last edited: Oct 20, 2007
  15. jokka

jokka OT Supporter

if gaining strength happened that fast we'd all be elite powerlifters.

after newb gains.. the roadgets really long and you'll be stalling alot.

16. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

what is your exact routine and sup usage and diet with times of meals included?

ps
    3 weeks is nothing, just keep going it takes awhile, but post exacts of what you're doing to see if it makes sense

17. Bailey

Bailey OT Supporter

I would like to start isolating my triceps. I am in the same boat as this guy; lacking upper body strength. Where in the Bill Starr's 5x5 routine would you incorporate triceps ?

18. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

that depends because there are a lot of different versions.... but doing it on any day is probably beneficial. If you're hitting heavy bench it might be good to do some tricep isolation after because you're exhausting it even further.... but if you're doing light bench then you can follow it up with tricep isolation because you'll probably be less exhausted and able to pump out more reps or weight.

I think if you just get it in there somewhere you'll be good.

19. Bailey

Bailey OT Supporter

I do incline bench on Monday, followed up by 2x20 tri extensions just as the routine says to do. I think I should be paying more attention to them than that though, because I have trouble benching 95lb :wtc: I think I'm gonna do one or two 4x10 on my tri's on Mondays.

I've only been working out since Oct 1, and this is my stats: On my 5x5s I finish with 235 DL, 235 squat, and 95 bench press. I'm almost embarrassed to go to the gym on bench day. Whenever I get my routine straightened out, it may take a while, but I hope I see some gains in bench press really fast.

edit: I don't think I'm thread hijacking, surrender and I just seem to have the same problem.

20. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

if you're having trouble benching 95lbs you should probably just work your ass off on bench until and not even worry about isolation. as long as you're doing something you'll get stronger, just be patient and work hard.

edit: i'd bet my right arm you aren't squatting properly. research full squats and learn how to do them.

21. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

the man has a point.

22. Bailey

Bailey OT Supporter

UPDATE

I must be doing something right. I did my Friday routine today (Saturday) and I went up drastically all across the boards. Just goes to show you, stick to the routine, stick to your diet and results will happen. Last Friday I couldn't even do 3x35lb on incline DB press. Some stranger saw me struggling and actually came over to spot me :wtc: I was embarrassed but it was only my 2nd week in so whatever.

Today, 8 days later, I did 5x40 without a sweat (the last one was hard) and I wanted to keep going to 45 but I wanted to stick to the plan. I still threw in an extra 5x5 triceps extension inbetween the incline DB and 2x20 triceps. I cannot wait for Monday to see what I can do on the bench press.

I feel like a new man. I also barbell row'd a full plate today. Go me.

Also, read here: http://www.criticalbench.com/benchpressarticles8.htm - 12 steps to a bigger bench press. Step 1 is work your tri's more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.